Missing Warners Titles (1 Viewer)

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Fritz Lang films, Fury, Rancho Notorious-A Box-set would be a must own
Busby Berkley Box-Set
Val Lewton Set
Clark Gable Signature Collection
James Cagney Signature Collection
Errol Flynn Signature Collection-with Gentleman Jim!
Greta Garbo Signature Collection
Astaire And Rodgers
Jean Harlow!!
Bringing Up Baby

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
Also, does Warners own Otto Preminger's Advise and Consent ? They released this on VHS about 10 years ago.

And add the following :
The Bandwagon
It's Always Fair Weather
Some Came Running
Reflections in a Golden Eye

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The Devils
The Boy Friend
Ryan's Daughter

oh, and

Finian's Rainbow
Finian's Rainbow
Finian's Rainbow

The Ballad of Cable Hogue, Ride the High Country, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (2 Disc), and Wild Bunch (2 Disc) are coming out in 2005 in a Peckinpah box set as mentioned at the American Cinenamtheque Peckinpah retrospective this summer.

I think a bunch of Val Lewton RKO films including Cat People 1&2, Zombie, Leopard Man are supposed to come out in a box set as well?

There is an East of Eden region 3 dvd from Korea which is anamorphic I believe.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
The VAL LEWTON Horrors are my #1 priority.

MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (35)

BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS (46)

MAD LOVE (35)

MASK OF FU MANCHU (32 - uncut)

Bowery Boys films

50s Horror/Sci Fi (like ATTACK OF THE 50 FT WOMAN and Boris Karloff's FRANKENSTEIN 1970)

Remaining Hammer Horror films

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Here are some titles I forgot. I want these on DVD as well:

"Penn & Teller Get Killed"
"Wise Guys"
"Dream Lover" (1986 Kristy McNichol thriller)
"Just The Way You Are"

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

On the DVD for "Penn & Teller Get Killed", I think a Penn, Penn & Teller commentary would be cool (The first Penn being the movie's director Arthur Penn).

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Derek, I would add:
Joan Crawford Signature Collection,
Bette Davis Signature Collection,
Spencer Tracy Signature Collection,
Jeannette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy Signature Collection.
plus Waterloo Bridge, Johny Eager, Born to Dance, Pride and Prejudice, Stage Door, Bachelor Mother, King Rows, Kitty Foyle, Blossoms in the Dust, Rosalie, The Human Comedy, The Picure of Dorian Gray.

Dorian Gray

Stunt Coordinator
All the Marbles (1981)
Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)
The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)
Crime Wave (1954)
The Devil-Doll (1936)
The Devils (1971)
Fury (1936)
Greed (1924)
The Hill (1965)
I shot Jesse James (1949)
The Legend of Lylah Clare (1968)
Merrill's Marauders (1962)
Night Must Fall (1937 + 1964)
Night of the Iguana (1964)
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973) - director's cut
The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)
Point blank (1967)
The Public Enemy (1931)
Ride the High Country (1962)
Run of the Arrow (1957)
Ryan's Daughter (1970)
There Was a Crooked Man... (1970)
White Heat (1949)
The Wind (1928)
The Yakuza (1975)

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
All Samuel Fuller!!
Including the restored version of THE BIG RED ONE!
I SHOT JESSE JAMES
MERRILL'S MARAUDERS
THE BARON OF ARIZONA

I also agree Signature Collections are due for..
BETTE DAVIS
JOAN CRAWFORD
KATHRINE HEPBURN
SPENCER TRACY respectively

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I remember during the 2003 Warner session (the one before the March one) that a Val Lewton set was said to be planned. But it wasn't brought up during the last chat. October would have been an ideal time to release it, too. Maybe next October?

That's the main problem with Warner- just too many titles. Perhaps its for the best that they didn't buy MGM.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Wow. So far there are quite a few titles & Boxed sets rumored for next year. Frankly I'll be pleasantly surprised to see half of them materialize in '05.

I remember back two years ago when King Kong was supposedly a gimme release for '03 - never happened. This year was going to be the "bust out" year for the classics with the Cagney, Flynn, etc, Boxed sets - never happened. I won't even mention the Blade Runner 3-disc SE fiasco that was rumored as coming soon every year for the past 5 years or so.

Now we have (according to net rumors here & elsewhere) the Peckinpah Boxed set, Val Lewton Boxed set, Cagney Boxed set, Davis Boxed set, Crawford Boxed set, Flynn Boxed set, King Kong SE, Blade Runner SE (in it's new toned down 2-disc incarnation), etc, etc. all logjammed into next year? I really doubt it.

I'm not saying that these aren't in the planning stages or maybe being worked on as we speak but I have little faith in internet rumors which claim that title ______ will definitely be out "next year". I'll only believe something when I read an official announcement with a release date.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
There are a LOT of good titles mentioned (Bad Day At Black Rock -- w/Criterion commentary track?; The Devils; A Face In The Crowd; O Lucky Man; Sam Fuller titles; Peckinpah titles), but I'm surprised no one's mentioned these three

Neil Jordan's "The Butcher Boy"
David Cronenberg's "M. Butterfly" (his only title still MIA on disc)
David Cronenberg's "Dead Ringers" (16x9; a Morgan Creek title)

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how I forgot to mention a Vincente Minnelli Signature Collection, including The Cobweb, Tea and Sympathy, Cabin in the Sky, I Dood it, Yolanda and the Thief, The Clock, The Pirate, Lust for Life, The Reluctant Debutante, Two Weeks in Another Town, etc. It would probably make more sense to release a couple of sets, one with the musicals, like The Band Wagon 2 disc SE, Gigi 2 disc SE, and An American in Paris 2 disc SE, and one for his Dramas Lust for Life, The Bad and the Beautiful etc..

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'm shocked that Warner Bros. has yet to show proper tributes to the stars that made it legendary in the 30s and 40s. Let's start with the biggest box-office attraction the studio had: "The Fourth Warner Brother" a.k.a. Bette Davis. I can't believe it took that TCM poll to get a masterpiece like The Letter released on DVD!! And we still have to hear about All This And Heaven, Too, Mr. Skeffington, Marked Woman, The Corn Is Green, A Stolen Life, The Man Who Came To Dinner, In This Our Life, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Old Maid, and The Great Lie . And how about Turner finally releasing a restored print of Of Human Bondage? On the other hand, I'd love to see (as a very guilty pleasure!) Beyond The Forest which literally forced Bette out of Warners and into Fox, where All About Eve was waiting for her after original lead Claudette Colbert left due to a bad back!

Why haven't the DVDs of the Davis films already released been given the special 2-disc treatment for signature films starring Cagney Yankee Doodle Dandy, Flynn The Adventures of Robin Hood, and Bogart Casablanca and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre? There should be Special Editions for Jezebel, Now, Voyager, and Dark Victory- her three most beloved and popular Warners films. This smacks of sexism on the part of Warner Home Video- I bet Bette's turning over in her grave over this slight, and I hate to think that she and Olivia deHavilland went through all those years suing Jack Warner for better roles and respect were all for naught! True, Warners was the "macho" studio as opposed to MGM, which deified their ladies as goddesses (Garbo, Crawford, Shearer, Lamarr, Taylor, Garnder, Turner, et al). But the irony was that Warner's biggest star at the box office was the dynamo from Lowell, Mass. who was not above getting down and dirty to get what she wanted as an actress. Her epitaph says it best: She did it the hard way.

BTW, equal arguments could be made for releasing more work from John Garfield, Edward G. Robinson, Doris Day (another box office champ for Warners), James Cagney (where's White Heat, The Roaring Twenties?)Claude Rains, Paul Muni, Kay Francis (who was the queen of the studio before Bette came along), Ann Sheridan, Ronald Reagan (I want Kings Row ASAPas a 2-disc version with a RR documentary of his Warners years- and this is the opinion of a Democrat!), and Barbara Stanwyck, who did a lot of films at Warners as a free agent in the 30s and 40s.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but I want Nicolas Roeg's Performance (1970), as well as many on everyone's lists!

Randi

Stunt Coordinator
I want a William Powell/Myrna Loy Signature set
separately I want a Thin Man box set!!!! I have held off buying the first Thin Man movie hoping for a box set.

ditto on Joan Crawford & Bette Davis sets- the divas are screaming for attention!

pre-code flicks. I'll buy them. Honest!

There are others but they have been named....

wishing and hoping,

Miss Randi

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks