What's new

Missing United Artists Classics (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Why hasn't "The Defiant Ones" been released on Blu-ray in America ?
“The Defiant Ones”. Yes. Another vote from me towards a BD release on this one.

“Bound for Glory” needs to be revisited for a restoration of this Oscar winning work from Haskell Wexler, as well.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
“The Defiant Ones”. Yes. Another vote from me towards a BD release on this one.

“Bound for Glory” needs to be revisited for a restoration of this Oscar winning work from Haskell Wexler, as well.
Didn't Bound for Glory get a Twilight Time release?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Didn't Bound for Glory get a Twilight Time release?
Yes. And I’m glad I have it, too. But there’s a good deal more that needs to be done. The current “Bound for Glory” is a paler version of the initial theatrical release. This was an Oscar winner for Best Cinematography; much deserved.

Last edited:

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Have MGM begun reinstating the United Artists logos which they have routinely cut since purchasing the studio? The new BFI “I Start Counting” has the original UA logo as did a recent TV showing of “Topkapi”. I particularly liked the UA hexagon logo which I grew up with but which is hardly ever seen now.

We actually created that master of I START COUNTING, which has now been released by BFI. MGM had nothing to do with it except supplying us with the IP we worked from.

Whatever logo (if any) is on the film element we're working from, is what will be on the master.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Picked up "I Start Counting" and was impressed. Quirky movie i had never saw before. Great performance by Jenny Agutter. Some interesting extras.Well done. Will also pick up Rancho Deluxe when it gets released.

Glad you enjoyed it and thank you for the support.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Oh, we pretty much know what the German release contains:

• Worldwide first release on Blu-ray
  • Booklet with a text by Mike Siegel
  • Disc 1 Blu-ray Unrated cinema version (HD, approx. 162 min.):
  • German movie trailer
  • English movie trailer
  • Disc 2 Blu-ray Original Director's Cut version (SD, ca. 202 min.):
  • Video essay "Duke's Dream Project - Mike Siegel on The Alamo" (approx. 37 min.)
  • Making Of documentary "John Wayne's The Alamo" (approx. 70 min.)
  • Contemporary documentary "The Spirit of Alamo" (approx. 51 min.)
  • Documentary "John Wayne - An American Legend" (approx. 58 min.)
  • Three slide shows with rare promotional material and photos from the set (approx. 36 min.)
  • Disc 3 DVD Unrated cinema version (approx. 155 min.):
  • German movie trailer
  • English movie trailer
I don't know much about the French release, but that's not 'till June (I think you were the first one to break the news about a French release, there was no other news about it at the time, but it's up on Amazon. fr now)
More or les the same though no German trailers or unrated cinema version. The long version is only French version and there is an extended interview with Patrick Wayne on his dad. I had no idea there was a directors cut out there and wonder what on Earth the extra 50 minutes will contain.

VERSION CINEMA VF/2.0 - VOSTFR 5.1/2.0
LA PASSION D’ALAMO : ENTRETIEN AVEC LE JOURNALISTE JEAN-FRANÇOIS GIRE (40 min)

BRD 2 :
VERSION LONGUE VOSTFR/SD (3h20)
MAKING-OF D’ALAMO (1h)
JOHN WAYNE MON PERE : ENTRETIEN AVEC PATRICK WAYNE (33 min)
UN MUSEE POUR JOHN WAYNE (10 min)
GALLERIE PHOTOS
BANDE ANNONCE

Last edited:

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
The Charge Of The Light Brigade (1968), I just can't count the Blu-rays already released, as they looked so awful, I bought the Aussie release & it went straight in the bin, it looked like it had been mastered from a bootleg VHS. I don't think MGM owns this anymore, I think it's the production company Woodfall.

I could see Criterion getting their hands on this, assuming that Woodfall does indeed hold the rights to this a la Tom Jones.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There was some online talk with the BFI about this when they released the big Woodfall films box set (which included Tom Jones), & they know it would be popular, but the film elements need a lot of TLC (in other words, expenditure), I hope it happens.

The Alamo release is only around three weeks away. If I was looking for a word to describe the German release, it would be, exclusive. The set with the big A on the cover is exclusive to Amazon.de & the set with the film poster art (the one I like) seems exclusive to the Koch store (I can't find anyone else selling it).

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
There was some online talk with the BFI about this when they released the big Woodfall films box set (which included Tom Jones), & they know it would be popular, but the film elements need a lot of TLC (in other words, expenditure), I hope it happens.

The Alamo release is only around three weeks away. If I was looking for a word to describe the German release, it would be, exclusive. The set with the big A on the cover is exclusive to Amazon.de & the set with the film poster art (the one I like) seems exclusive to the Koch store (I can't find anyone else selling it).

Any idea what language the German edition is in?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Any idea what language the German edition is in?

Yup, the specs state, German (mono) & English (5.1) & they say just German subs (fair enough, it is a German release).

I don't know what the French release will be, I'm thinking French & English.

DonB34

Agent
Real Name
Donald
I'm happy to report that of titles mentioned in this thread, Fun City Editions (which I happen to be the proprietor of) has released or will release I START COUNTING and SMILE.

We've also released JEREMY and have RANCHO DELUXE upcoming.

We created new 2K masters of each of these titles, as well new interviews, commentaries, booklet essays and more.
I saw everybody name dropping Smile in this thread, and I was going to mention that it was up for pre-order. You beat me to it. I ordered mine the first day the link was added. Didn't want to miss out. Thanks!

DonB34

Agent
Real Name
Donald
Does anyone Miss Bluray.com ? They have been Off line for a few day's now. I sure do. :huh:
I bought a region free player early last week. I was ready to go crazy picking up some blu-rays never available in Region A, picking up good region B prints where I didn't buy the region A because the print was bad, looking for some films never released here on DVD, etc........ and I've been kind of at a standstill because they have all the information I need before pulling the trigger on purchases! Some were no-brainers, like the Arrow blu-ray release of Heathers, but some I need more info. My Amazon and eBay lists wait in anxious anticipation.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I bought a region free player early last week. I was ready to go crazy picking up some blu-rays never available in Region A, picking up good region B prints where I didn't buy the region A because the print was bad, looking for some films never released here on DVD, etc........ and I've been kind of at a standstill because they have all the information I need before pulling the trigger on purchases! Some were no-brainers, like the Arrow blu-ray release of Heathers, but some I need more info. My Amazon and eBay lists wait in anxious anticipation.
Bluray.com is BACK !!! :D :) :banana::dancing-banana-04::cheers:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
My The Alamo is on its way from France (along with the until now MIA HD of Fox's The Virgin Queen). At least it's still available from there...for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks