Missing thread-processor by-pass.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelGomez, Mar 28, 2002.

1. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

I asked this once but when the server went down and we lost all of our threads, mine disappeared also.

So, what I had asked was, can you by-pass the processor of a receiver and use the amps. I currently have a Sony STR-DA555ES and would love to get the new outlaw 950. Only, I don't think that I could convince the wife into the $1800 amp to go along with it. So, I would like to get the 950 and then use the amps in my sony. Can it be done?

2. JimN

JimN Stunt Coordinator

If the receiver has 5.1 direct inputs you could hook the preamp up to those and any DSP and DAC's in the receiver should be bypassed. I thought about doing that when I get my 950 (in about a million years). I am pretty sure that would work. Perhaps someone else can comment.

3. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

If you look on the back of your receiver and it has little "U-shaped" RCA jumpers connecting the 5 pre-outs (left, right, center, left surround, and right surround) with the 5 amp-inputs then the answer is yes, you can use just the 950 to drive the receiver's amps.

4. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Many HT receivers allow for the use of external amplifiers.

Typically they do this is by allowing the input to the receiver's amplifiers to be disconnected, and routed to external amplifiers.

The RCA connections on the back of your receiver, if it supports this feature, are typically labeled as follows:

Receiver Amp Input ports (RCA):

Left IN

Right IN

Center IN

Left Surround IN

Right Surround IN

Receiver Preamp Output ports (RCA):

Left OUT

Right OUT

Center OUT

Left Surround OUT

Right Surround OUT

These 5 connections are normally connected to each other with a "jumper-plug". This "jumper-plug" performs just like a cable and connects the 5 outputs above to the 5 inputs above.

This "jumper-plug" is typically a small "U-shaped" metal bridge with dual RCA male plugs, and is designed to bridge the signal connection for each of the 5 output-to-input signal paths discussed above.

This "jumper-plug" has an approximate size about half the diameter of a US nickel.

Look in your manual to see a picture of the back of your receiver does it have these connections labeled as I have indicated? They may not show the jumper plugs in place, but if the corresponding output-to-input ports are right next to each other (less than an inch), then that's probably how they do it.

Read the section in the manual that talks about using an external amplifier with your receiver and see if it talks abount removing a "jumper-plug".

Hope that helps.