Missing sound effects in The Hobbit?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Travis, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Tim Travis

Tim Travis Agent

My roommate is a big fan of this movie and he mentioned that the dvd that was just released was missing some sound effects. After bilbo gets the ring and finds the dwarves trapped by spiders, he throws a rock and hits the spider. The missing sound effect is when the screen starts spinning to show the spider dying. Also later on when he kills the other spiders and they die, the effect sounds are missing too.
    I pulled out my old copy of the hobbit on vhs and the sounds are there, but just not on my dvd. Did anybody else notice this? I know nothing can be done about it, I was just wondering if anybody else caught it.
    My roommate is pissed and wants a redone special edition [​IMG]
    Tim

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
  3. Tim Travis

Tim Travis Agent

So others have seen it too. Not that it is a big deal. Oh well.

How would this happen? Does that mean the sound effects are missing from the master they used for the transfer?

Tim

4. David Stone

David Stone Stunt Coordinator

(Sorry I'm late, but the disc wasn't watched until after we gave it to my son for the holidays.) Actually, as far as I'm concerned, the error is a very big deal. I'm in my late 30's and grew up loving this animated film. It was my introduction to fantasy and led to an appreciation of the genre of books & films.
    The problem isn't with only a few of the sound effects. When compared to our old beat-up VHS copy, the DVD is missing most of the sound effects. When the weapons & drawn & used, nothing. When Smaug breathes fire, nothing. Horses hooves, being bound with chains, the cries of eagles, the howls of wolves, the list goes on, all nothing. Knowing that the sounds are missing is very distracting while watching the film and, for me anyway, made the viewing unpleasant.
    This is a defective disc that resulted from a production error, plain and simple. Warner Home Video should correct the disc immediately for all future runs and offer to exchange the discs already purchased.
    [​IMG]

5. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

You know, the same thing happened recently to another Rankin/Bass special. "The Little Drummer Boy" is missing many sound effects as well. The special is now very quiet. This special was restored a few years ago, and the sound effects were not included in the most recent vhs and dvd versions...Sony released this special.

6. AndrewR

AndrewR Stunt Coordinator

Not a big deal!?!

Just because this isn't a "mainstream" DVD release, it shouldn't be swept under the rug by saying "big deal". It should be recalled and fixed.

Just because it isn't Opera or Monty Pyton and the Holy Grail, doesn't make it less of a film. It deserves to be replaced.

Andrew

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Well it's certainly not a big deal to the Evil Empire of AOL/Warner. They clearly don't care about the pitiful few movies they're releasing on DVD. THE worst studio in the business. Amazing how they went from heroes to zeroes in 3 years flat.

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor