What's new

Missing scene in Airplane! DVD? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I just saw the Airplane! DVD. Is there a scene missing?
I seem to remember a scene where a man was buying a time bomb inside the terminal where there were shelves of different bombs. I am pretty sure this was Airplane! but it might have been a different spoof movie.

Matthew H

Second Unit
Yeah, that's Sonny Bono's character in Airplane II: The Sequel. I still don't care for it that much, but it has some decent one liners (the Jeapordy! scene with Art Fleming and the Scraps scene in the beginning are pretty funny).

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
A scene that I seem to remember from Airplane at one time, but can never seem get anyone to recognize, nor on any video format that I am aware of, or on IMDB, is one where Leslie Nielson's character (a doctor) is confronted by an passenger with some type of ailment. Leslie gives her two pills and tells the patient to take them with water.

The patient then asks "What is it?" (referring to the pills)

Leslie's reply is "It's two parts Hydrogen, One part Oxygen. It makes things go down easier" (referring to the water, the last item that he referenced in his last sentence.)

To me, that blurb scene was just so damn funny, but I wish that I could a DVD release with that, and any other missing scenes put back in.

[Also, if anyone can tell me if this was actually a scene in another movie, just let me know what it is, but I associate it with Airplane, as that is what I remember seeing it in, but like most, my memory is not 100% perfect...]

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator
The Airplane! DVD contains the cinema version. There is a TV version with extra scenes including the aforementioned bomb scene. However, this DVD was produced in Paramount's even-more-stingy-with-extras-than-now period, so there are no 'deleted' (or in this case added) scenes.

I was a little disappointed that these scenes were not included, but the film's pretty good anyway.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
There is a TV version with extra scenes including the aforementioned bomb scene.
You are half correct. There is a TV version of Airplane!, but you are wrong saying this scene is in that version. The initial question has already been answered, the bomb scene is from Airplane II - The Sequel.

Neil

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator
Yep - you're right - I went back and checked Airplane II's script (I don't own it cos it's not official ZAZ). :b

It certainly misses the 'The Corn, The Corn' scene.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I remember a scene in the TV version of
airplane where two guys who are walking
in opposite directions of the airport
suddenly recognize each other.

One guy says, "Hi Jack!"

Next thing you know security comes and carts
him away.

(an obvious reference to hijack).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Heh...that's good, Ron. At work there's a fellow named Jack. We do the same thing to him. When he is off for the day, we say "Jack off". :D
I wonder if the ZAZ guys are hiring... ;)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Joke spoilers below:
The TV version has a different discussion with a completely different punch line in the scene with the two kids. In the movie, it ends with the girl saying she likes her coffee hot and black like her men. In the TV version this line is not there, but they have a much longer discussion and the boy mentions something about being a lawyer for small business men or something like that.
The TV version sounds like it could have been dialog lifted straight from the Zero Hour movie, but with new levels of comedy because they were kids instead of adults. The movie version goes for the quick gut buster (and succeeds, IMHO :))
Regards,

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Both AIRPLANE and AIRPLANE II TV versions had quite a few different scenes. When these run on cable TV these days (seems like that is often) do they still run these alterante network versions, or do they simply edit/bleep the theatrical cuts? Does anyone know?

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Yea, I wonder why they exteneded or alter movies on TV. Everytime Naked Gun plays on TNT or USA, the scene where Leslie is reflecting on his day is longer, and we see him at a carnival riding bumper cars, and walking down the street we see a hookers legs. Also the baseball scene(the part where I LOVE L.A. is playing), we see people picnicing in the field, and the players call a timeout and discuss stocks or something like that. I wonder if they shot these scenes specifically for the TV release, or if they were supposed to be in the movie, but were cut for some reason.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Wait. so the HI Jack! scene is NOT on the DVD?
That's one of my (and my dad's) favourite scenes.:frowning:

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
They still show the extended tv cut...it was on the other day- Comedy Central, I believe, and the alternate boy and girl coffee scene was shown.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks