What's new

Missing roadshows from FOX- (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Trajan has my blessing.

The more times these titles are mentioned and requested the better the chances of them ever being considered.

I'll add "Half A Sixpence" and "Paint Your Wagon" to the list of wanted Big Roadshow Musicals on Blu-Ray.

Thanks for the tip on the Aussie "Doctor Doolittle" Blu-Ray Byron, I'll keep a watch out for it.

Doug.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Doug, "Doctor Dolittle" is coming in September on BD in Aus. as part of the Hollywood Gold range's new selection of Blu-rays. I've created a thread in the 'International' forum dedicated to the new releases in the Hollywood Gold range.

John Skoda

Second Unit
JohnMor said:
There was definitely an Entr'acte played. My recollection, having seen it on the big screen several times, was the Entr'acte was played over a black screen, not with the curtain/orchestra.
Yes, exactly right. The STAR! Entr'acte (which is an instrumental version of the title song) was played over closed curtains (or on a blank screen, if they were too lazy to close them). The 70mm print was beautiful!

One thing that seemed odd--after the end titles, the cast of characters rolls by to silence.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
classicmovieguy said:
I think this poster is just very passionate about the films they love and wants to be heard. They list a few which are in my own wish-list ("Star!" and "Doctor Dolittle"). The latter has been released on Germany on BD, and will be out in September in Australia, where I live, so I'll be interested to see how it turns out.
Thanks for DOLITTLE info. Would hope for TODD-AO transfer,yet website states aspect ratio of 2:35, even though it is not always correct.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm going to be very interested to purchase the Aussie BD release of "Dolittle" - but I'm thinking they must be using the HD print from the German Blu release.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
John Skoda said:
Yes, exactly right. The STAR! Entr'acte (which is an instrumental version of the title song) was played over closed curtains (or on a blank screen, if they were too lazy to close them). The 70mm print was beautiful!

One thing that seemed odd--after the end titles, the cast of characters rolls by to silence.
I thought so. Hope the Entr'acte is reinstated when the film goes Blu...

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The UK DVD of Doctor Dolittle is 2.20.1, but does not
have a Todd-AO credit in the front titles.

britx

Grip
Real Name
Brian
classicmovieguy said:
I'm going to be very interested to purchase the Aussie BD release of "Dolittle" - but I'm thinking they must be using the HD print from the German Blu release.
Do you have an update on the Aussie "Dolittle" (from the Hollywood Gold Series)? I'm interested to know how good the the BD is since it's more reasonably priced than the German BD.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
britx said:
Do you have an update on the Aussie "Dolittle" (from the Hollywood Gold Series)? I'm interested to know how good the the BD is since it's more reasonably priced than the German BD.
It's very disappointing.
The vibrant original colors are washed out and it has an ugly brownish look about it.
It also has an unpleasant video like (not film) appearance.

I'm sorry I bought it, although it is watchable and it is cheap.

My guess would be that this print originated in Europe, so it could be the same as the German BD. (but that's just my guess as I haven't seen the German disc)

Hopefully Fox will give it a better transfer and release it in the USA soon.
I'll certainly double up if they get it right.

britx

Grip
Real Name
Brian
Doug Bull said:
It's very disappointing.
The vibrant original colors are washed out and it has an ugly brownish look about it.
Thanks for the info! I was hoping the news would be better - I think I'll stick with the DVD for now.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Doug Bull said:
It's very disappointing.

I'm sorry I bought it, although it is watchable and it is cheap.

My guess would be that this print originated in Europe, so it could be the same as the German BD. (but that's just my guess as I haven't seen the German disc)

Hopefully Fox will give it a better transfer and release it in the USA soon.
I'll certainly double up if they get it right.
Sounds like a port from the dvd??

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Porgy and Bess is my #1 choice for missing films.

Unlike every other film listed in this thread (I think!), Porgy and Bess is the only film that has never been available in any version and any format. Nothing. It is totally missing.

Yet there is a lot to say for this film, it has an amazing pedigree with awards and people in front of and behind the camera, and is a fine rendition of a true American musical classic and the only one on film (there are video versions of the play).

Lots to say about this one.

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
rsmithjr said:
Porgy and Bess is my #1 choice for missing films.

Unlike every other film listed in this thread (I think!), Porgy and Bess is the only film that has never been available in any version and any format. Nothing. It is totally missing.

Yet there is a lot to say for this film, it has an amazing pedigree with awards and people in front of and behind the camera, and is a fine rendition of a true American musical classic and the only one on film (there are video versions of the play).

Lots to say about this one.
I would love to see it restored too, but my understanding is the Gershwin estate has blocked it for years, except for a few select screenings. It is in the National Film Registry now, so maybe there is some hope.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'm another person really interested in the eventual release of PORGY AND BESS. I had heard that the rights issues had been cleared up. On the other hand, I understand that the 70mm print that does still exist was to screen at the AFI Silver Theater and Cultural Center in Silver Spring, Maryland on September 2 and 3, 2012 but was cancelled because of "problems with rights clearances". Anyone have more info about this issue? It is a tragedy that that this film is being held back when a 70mm print still exists! And I suppose now it would be considered a missing BD roadshow from WB, which would be just one more among scores of others in their backlog.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
ljgranberry said:
I would love to see it restored too, but my understanding is the Gershwin estate has blocked it for years, except for a few select screenings. It is in the National Film Registry now, so maybe there is some hope.
There is an agreement that was done in 2011 that allowed Goldwyn to release it to Theatres and Home Video. The problem was MGM had license to the Goldwyn film and had no interest in the title. Now that Warners has the license there is hope.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Getting Porgy and Bess restored and released has been an ongoing saga with many twists and turns.

I should also have mention that it was unavailable in any form for many decades, not just home video. That included TV, cable, theatrical, everything. The Gershwin estate seized and destroyed prints for much of this time. A few showings have been permitted in the last decade, but it has been very difficult to see.

This history of suppression is almost unprecedented, especially for a film that won Academy, Golden Globe, and Grammy awards and was photographed and exhibited in 70mm roadshow.

But the major rights issues have seemingly been cleared and now we just have to wait to see what happens.

It is my understanding that the original materials are in the hands of the Goldwyn estate and are in good condition so there is hope. It was not overprinted since only a few 70mm prints were struck, with 35mm prints in dye transfer.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I should mention that I have seen Porgy and Bess and it is certainly a fine film. A bit stage-bound in some ways. But the acting and signing are superb, the cast is as good as you could have imagined, and the original play and music are unquestioned classics that are not harmed by the production in any way.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Early Todd-AO (Oklahoma!) films ran at 30fps. Most Todd-AO films are 24fps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks