Missing Remote?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mark Hyams, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Mark Hyams

Mark Hyams Auditioning

I bought an Onkyo TX-DS474 on ebay recently, and it didn't come with a remote. This is a bit of a problem, since the only way to adjust the speaker levels with the test tone is via the remote. I have an old Onkyo pro-logic receiver, and its remote can get the test tone going, but nothing on it can adjust the levels. The old remote can also do things like volume, mute, power, switching sources, but not the one crucial thing. Any ideas of what I can do to access the speaker level adjustment? Can universal remotes do this?

Mark

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Mark,

universals/learning are good if they have the codes pre-programmed. However this is quite unlikely for a receiver to have 100% of the codes - and you need the original remote to teach it. Since you don't have it, maybe you can find out the remote part number and look at replacement remotes first

3. Robert Fellows

Robert Fellows Stunt Coordinator

4. Mark Hyams

Mark Hyams Auditioning

I found the codes for the remote on some website. They look something like this:

0x000000000B4AF234

Is this something that can be programmed into a universal? The universals that I was looking at seemed to just accept a brand code, like 0135 for Onkyo. They also have the actual Onkyo remote for sale on replacementremotes.com, but it is $48, and that is practically what I paid for the receiver!

Thanks for the help so far.

Mark

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

it probably could, if you have a universal remote with a JP1 port.

6. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

go over to http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/index.php

THere you can learn about the wonderful world of JP1. You can customize any jp1 remote to do everything for you. Also, you can find great deals there for the remotes themselves.

Jp1 is pretty simple and cheap to get into. A jp1 cable runs about $15 and a remote can be had for as low as $20.

7. Mark Hyams

Mark Hyams Auditioning

Thanks Justin. I actually found that site a few days ago and have been reading about JP1 some. I made the plunge and ordered a remote and cable and it'll arrive next week. And it'll be cheaper than buying the actual replacement remote! It'll be nice to have one remote instead of five!

Mark

8. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

Mark,

The jp1 forums are awesome. Lots of people to help out but make sure to read the sticky threads and faqs. Good luck.