Missing Outlook Messages, But Have Folders

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Rob Landolfi, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

Following a recent XP reinstall, everything is back to where it should be, but I can't find some of my Outlook mail messages. I transferred my outlook.pst and archive.pst to another drive, then put them in the corresponding folder on my C: drive and had all my current items. Messages beyond several months are missing, though the folders that contain(ed) them are present.

I'm thinking it's some kind or archiving issue, but I haven't had any luck in importing from my old folders.

I do have my old XP install in a Ghost image, so I should be able to rescue the files if necessary. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any insight.

2. Rob Landolfi

I think I had a bad setting in my Archive.pst prior to my reinstall that deleted items over 6 months old... must have been a default setting as I don't ever remember choosing that.

I think I've lost some old mail, but my .pst is pretty huge so I can't imagine that so much has disappeared.

3. Rob Landolfi

Problem solved... I remembered that I had tried moving my working .pst and archive off my C: drive to another partition and went looking there. Found the files and noted that the archive was about 5X larger than what it was in my backup file. When I copied the larger file back to my (working) folder in the C: drive, everything reappeared in the archive.

4. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Glad to help. [​IMG] [​IMG]