What's new

Missing music in 1931 Dracula? (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
At about 26 minutes in, during the symphony, after Bela speaks the line "There are far worse things awaiting man than death." Right after he says that, you see the lights go down, and the other actors turn their attention to back to the stage.

The version I had on tape many years ago (I think it was reccorded from AMC) always had a musical cue there, and I always thought it was the music of the symphony resuming their performance. The DVD contains no music at all in that scene.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
At the time Dracula was made, films did not usually contain scores. Sound in movies was new (Dracula being the first horror "talkie); so, just the fact that there was sound was unique, nobody had thought scores were necesary. The only time music occurred in those early sound pictures was when there was actually a musical performance in the film (an orchestra playing in the back, for instance). A few years ago, Phillip Glass wrote a score for the "scoreless" 1931 version of Dracula. This version was available as an alternate soundtrack to the DVD when it was released.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

No. As I said in my post, it was a recording from AMC, many years before the Philip Glass score existed. I know alot of early films contained no soundtrack, but I am positive that the version I owned had music in that scene. It was not a piece of music composed for the film. It was the symphony in the theater, resuming their performance. Notice how something draws the actors' attention to the stage.

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,

You are absolutely 100% correct!!! The first dark and moody notes of Franz Schubert's
Unfinished Symphony No. 8 are missing! It should start at approximately 26:16 on the dvd. That little bit of music added such a feeling of dread to that scene and the subsequent fadeout. After a careful listen, I can hear the soundtrack being dialed out at the point where the music should begin. What's going on here? This couldn't possibly have been a music clearance problem...or could it?

Jeff

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Since Universal spoiled the sound on the Dracula DVD by using too much noise reduction, it's probable that they accidentally removed that piece of music. They took out *way* too much noise on the track - the "room tone" that is supposed to be a part of the film is completely missing. They've turned it into a silent movie with dialogue and it's not good at all.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
They've turned it into a silent movie with dialogue and it's not good at all.
That's exactly what it sounds like too. Having never seen the film outside of the DVD, I just assumed this is what it always sounded like. Interesting...

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Thank you! I knew I was not crazy.

Exactly. I always remember thinking the scene was especially haunting, and the missing music really has a negative impact. I wonder why no one else noticed this back when it was originally released on DVD?

Next time its on TCM or AMC, I'll set my PVR, and see what version they use.

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
I always remember thinking the scene was especially haunting, and the missing music really has a negative impact. I wonder why no one else noticed this back when it was originally released on DVD?
I never saw Dracula until I got the DVD, so I didn't know about this until this thread. Very annoying. Yet another reason why the Spanish version seems superior (the music cue there is retained).

I also seem to remember reading a review somewhere on the Web that the transfer of the English-language film is way too dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks