Missing lines on Witness DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Christian Preischl, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Hi,

I just watched the DVD of "Witness" and found that the film has 2 lines of dialogue missing. After John Book gets wounded, he sits down on the floor, and as the film transitions to the next scene you should hear a replay of a conversation that happened earlier:

"Who else knows about this?"
    "Just you and I."

This is pretty important as it makes clear to the audience that Shaffer's in it as well.

Strangely, this is missing from the DVD. I did a Google search and found that this not only affects the R2, but also the R1. And here's where it gets weird: I did a side by side comparison with my VHS which has the line intact, and there's nothing missing footagewise, it's just these 2 lines that have disappeared. I then checked all the other dubs on the R2 (German, French, Italian, Czech, Spanish, Polish) and the lines aren't present in any of them. (I can confirm that they used to be in the German version.)

Anybody have any idea what that's all about?

Chris

2. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

That is a very strange edit for them to make! As you mentioned, Book recalling this conversation is a pretty important point.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Auditioning

This is something I always fear about home video reissues: that, somewhere in the process, dialogue is lost or changed, which also applies to music. We've gotten so used to Special Editions with extended edits that I wonder if the studios have forgotten the original, untouched cut of a film might be a good idea first....then give us an update. Friends thought I was crazy to keep my original copy of APOCALYPSE NOW when REDUX came out, but it was, for me, the right decision.

To be honest, I've only watched the WITNESS DVD once, so I missed that *omission*. Oh well, something else to add to the list... [​IMG]

4. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    I spotted this back when the disc came out in 1999. Very disappointing.

It's not on the 2.0 track either.

Neil

5. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Wow. Don't remember that being missing.
    Now, I'll have to go home and check, and then be pissed off. [​IMG]

6. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    What irks me is that this has apparently been removed from all language versions of the film, so it can't really have happened by accident. At first I thought that maybe they cut out the end of the scene, but it is still the same length as on the VHS version where the line is intact. Strange, really strange.

Chris

7. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Wow. Obviously any missing dialog is bad, but that's an especially bad piece to be missing.

8. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Extra

Witness is scheduled to be released in a special edition on August 23, 2005 - hopefully this edition won't be missing dialogue. It will contain a making of documentary and a deleted scene.

Talk about an odd way to hear about a new dvd, I saw this release as a tie-in to a Pennsylvania Dutch country tourism commercial.

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Witness is one the best Harrison Ford Movies ever