What's new

Missing in action .... Tarzan and his Mate (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
agreed that I would dearly love to see those original MGM 6 films and the RKO 6 after, but as stated not holding my breath, if it happens, I will be ecstatic,

but there are other films that would probably be easier to release, the Scott films, or the latter Henry films, before circling back to the 30's and 40's out put.

just remember, that those fake ears on the elephants (to make Asian look African), will really be noticeable in HD.

and both of the first two films have some definite pre-code moments.
Even Buster Crabb also (an ex-olympic swimmer), known more for his heroic Flash Gordon & Buck Rogers tossed in for one movie of 1933 "Tarzan the Fearless"!! But for me the one and only Tarzan is Johnny Weissmuller, after all the most famous yell in cinematic histroy was created by him!!

Attachments

• Poster_-_Tarzan_the_Fearless_01.jpg
    Poster_-_Tarzan_the_Fearless_01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I was a wee lad when I saw Tarzan and His Mate in a kiddie matinee sometime in the late '50s. My eyes popped during the underwater swimming sequence.
as a kid I never saw the Euopean version until after buying the boxset. When I was it on TV it have been cut and editied from the TV version. It's pail to todays films but still, holds to the characters and does add to the film.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
The first 3 Weissmuller films are a great trilogy, and I would certainly like these restored and put on Blu-ray. The DVD of Tarzan and His Mate looks rather aged, and I would love to see the best elements restored.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I am amazed that the 1934 pre-code movie 'Tarzan and HIs Mate', featuring Romanian actor Johnny Weissmuller and Irish actress Maureen O'Sullivan, hasn't made it to Blu ray yet. Unbelievable!
Mind you, it's equally surprising that its 1932 precursor 'Tarzan The Ape Man' hasn't appeared either -- but there's a lot more to see in 'Tarzan and his Mate'.
Surely these should get an airing on Warner Archive. We want ape-action now.
it seems WBA has the rights to not only the JW films but also the Lex Baxter, Gordon Scott, Jock Mahoney, Mike Henry Tarzan films. So reall depending on your era, you have the possibility of YOUR Tarzan being restored and elevated to BRD or 4K reality. Depening on the quality of the film and audio elements available to WBA? For me it will alway be the amazing paring of Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O'Sullivan as Tarzan and his mate Jane!!

Attachments

• 91IulyRCPDL._SL1500_.jpg
    91IulyRCPDL._SL1500_.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 30

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The first 3 Weissmuller films are a great trilogy, and I would certainly like these restored and put on Blu-ray. The DVD of Tarzan and His Mate looks rather aged, and I would love to see the best elements restored.
WBA has the ability, they just need the reasons to do it!!! They just need to stop being such a Cheetah, LOL!!!

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 33

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Even Buster Crabb also (an ex-olympic swimmer), known more for his heroic Flash Gordon & Buck Rogers tossed in for one movie of 1933 "Tarzan the Fearless"!! But for me the one and only Tarzan is Johnny Weissmuller, after all the most famous yell in cinematic histroy was created by him!!

Buster Crabbe was also in that ersatz Tarzan item "King of the Jungle" (1933-Paramount), as the 'lion man' captured and brought to a circus in America... who then gets loose and creates some minor-league havoc. It's a fun bit of hokum, and also features the lovely Frances Dee as leading lady. I'd hoped it might be something Kino could get and release via their Universal deal.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Buster Crabbe was also in that ersatz Tarzan item "King of the Jungle" (1933-Paramount), as the 'lion man' captured and brought to a circus in America... who then gets loose and creates some minor-league havoc. It's a fun bit of hokum, and also features the lovely Frances Dee as leading lady. I'd hoped it might be something Kino could get and release via their Universal deal.
Seeing him as Tarzan is like waching Roger Moore as James Bond...all I can see the The Saint!!!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven't taken out my DVD box set for many years, but I did watch Tarzan's Secret Treasure off the TCM app a couple of weeks ago. It was great seeing it again after all this time.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I haven't taken out my DVD box set for many years, but I did watch Tarzan's Secret Treasure off the TCM app a couple of weeks ago. It was great seeing it again after all this time.
the first MGM/O'Sullivan era films really are in need of a restoration/elevation to 2K/4K HD format upgrade....Thanks Matt!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Maureen O'Sullivan, as Jane, is particularly lovely in that one. It was her last appearance in the series.
I thnk that she didn't want to be typecast as Jane for hre whole carrier. Johnny was only himself, with very little latitude as an actor. Maureen was a better actor and wanted a wider array of parts to play...I quite understand, 6 Tarzan movies was enough for her.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I am amazed that the 1934 pre-code movie 'Tarzan and HIs Mate', featuring Romanian actor Johnny Weissmuller and Irish actress Maureen O'Sullivan, hasn't made it to Blu ray yet. Unbelievable!
Mind you, it's equally surprising that its 1932 precursor 'Tarzan The Ape Man' hasn't appeared either -- but there's a lot more to see in 'Tarzan and his Mate'.
Surely these should get an airing on Warner Archive. We want ape-action now.

Attachments

• MV5BNjA2MjYzMTctOGFhNC00OTlmLWE1MTktMTQ2MDJiMTc2OWY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BNjA2MjYzMTctOGFhNC00OTlmLWE1MTktMTQ2MDJiMTc2OWY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 33

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thnk that she didn't want to be typecast as Jane for hre whole carrier. Johnny was only himself, with very little latitude as an actor. Maureen was a better actor and wanted a wider array of parts to play...I quite understand, 6 Tarzan movies was enough for her.
I think it had more to do with her family as she had seven kids including Mia Farrow. She took a break from films for a while.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
You're absolutely right! "Tarzan's New York Adventure" was her sixth and last appearance in the series.
And once it was done, Joinny signed with RKO and filmed all the Tarzan goes to war series...I did love the way they would kill off the nazis....lava and flesh eating lizards, you gotta love it, LOL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks