What's new

Missing in action .... Tarzan and his Mate (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I am amazed that the 1934 pre-code movie 'Tarzan and HIs Mate', featuring Romanian actor Johnny Weissmuller and Irish actress Maureen O'Sullivan, hasn't made it to Blu ray yet. Unbelievable!
Mind you, it's equally surprising that its 1932 precursor 'Tarzan The Ape Man' hasn't appeared either -- but there's a lot more to see in 'Tarzan and his Mate'.
Surely these should get an airing on Warner Archive. We want ape-action now.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I saw both films in a double bill, around 1964 (ish) at the Classic, Paddington, London. A funny little cinema, they used to show mostly old films, art films & Scandinavian sex films, I saw a lot of old films there. Anyway, I don't expect them to show up on Blu-ray anytime. I'd think they'd need a fair bit of work done on them, & they're probably seen as a wee bit politically incorrect these days. So hang on to your DVDs.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I was a wee lad when I saw Tarzan and His Mate in a kiddie matinee sometime in the late '50s. My eyes popped during the underwater swimming sequence.

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Remember, Warners is quite particular about what quality level they consider "acceptable" for a Blu-Ray these days. If they can't find source materials that are suitable, and/or if a title is going to require too much expensive work, they won't release that title on Blu-Ray at this time. That doesn't mean they'll never release it, but it does mean not now. Just look at Seven Brides for Seven Brothers on Blu-Ray. For years, they said they were looking for better material, and people though it was just a dodge and would never happen. But when they did find better material, they did indeed release a Blu-Ray of it, looking much better than it ever had before on home video. Similarly, people were screaming for Show Boat (1951) for years, and then, all of a sudden, the Blu-Ray was released last month (and looks amazing).

So, the Tarzan films could be released on Blu-Ray, or not. And if they're released, it could be next month, or not for a long time. And as for them being released in order: they are doing this with the Thin Man films, but for the Broadway Melody films, they are starting with the last one! Of course, the Broadway Melody films are not sequential the way the Tarzan and Thin Man films are, but it just goes to show that Warners is not locked to any particular pattern.

Short version: there's no way to know Warners' plans for any given title until they tell us it will be released. Don't give up hope, but don't hold your breath waiting either. The one constant seems to be that as soon as you, personally, order a DVD of a film you've been waiting for a Blu-Ray of, the Blu-Ray appears!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
agreed that I would dearly love to see those original MGM 6 films and the RKO 6 after, but as stated not holding my breath, if it happens, I will be ecstatic,

but there are other films that would probably be easier to release, the Scott films, or the latter Henry films, before circling back to the 30's and 40's out put.

just remember, that those fake ears on the elephants (to make Asian look African), will really be noticeable in HD.

and both of the first two films have some definite pre-code moments.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I'm just guessing here, but I suspect we might be getting one or more of the early Tarzans sometime soon. My reason for this theory? I've been watching on the other forum, where they have a thread specifically about Tarzan on Blu-ray. I just double-checked again, and that thread mentions, on at least two occasions, that they said on the podcast that more Tarzan was on the way (those mentions were one time in early 2019, when the last two came out, and the second about August-ish last year). The second time, in particular, it was indicated that they might be coming this year. Now, it's been nearly two years since the last Tarzan releases from WAC. It seems that, if they are indeed giving us more, that it would be the early ones, which might have required more time and work (granted, I have NO idea what shape the elements are in for any of these, as I've really only seen a few of the early films, and that was a long time ago). Again, this is just a theory on my part, but it's still hope just the same!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm just guessing here, but I suspect we might be getting one or more of the early Tarzans sometime soon. My reason for this theory? I've been watching on the other forum, where they have a thread specifically about Tarzan on Blu-ray. I just double-checked again, and that thread mentions, on at least two occasions, that they said on the podcast that more Tarzan was on the way (those mentions were one time in early 2019, when the last two came out, and the second about August-ish last year). The second time, in particular, it was indicated that they might be coming this year. Now, it's been nearly two years since the last Tarzan releases from WAC. It seems that, if they are indeed giving us more, that it would be the early ones, which might have required more time and work (granted, I have NO idea what shape the elements are in for any of these, as I've really only seen a few of the early films, and that was a long time ago). Again, this is just a theory on my part, but it's still hope just the same!
Anything is possible. I'm just not optimistic about that possibility.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Remember, Warners is quite particular about what quality level they consider "acceptable" for a Blu-Ray these days. If they can't find source materials that are suitable, and/or if a title is going to require too much expensive work, they won't release that title on Blu-Ray at this time. That doesn't mean they'll never release it, but it does mean not now. Just look at Seven Brides for Seven Brothers on Blu-Ray. For years, they said they were looking for better material, and people though it was just a dodge and would never happen. But when they did find better material, they did indeed release a Blu-Ray of it, looking much better than it ever had before on home video. Similarly, people were screaming for Show Boat (1951) for years, and then, all of a sudden, the Blu-Ray was released last month (and looks amazing).
. . . and that's why some people never give up hoping that one day there will be exquisite Blu-ray discs of High Society, Raintree County, Ryan's Daughter etc. etc.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I am amazed that the 1934 pre-code movie 'Tarzan and HIs Mate', featuring Romanian actor Johnny Weissmuller and Irish actress Maureen O'Sullivan, hasn't made it to Blu ray yet. Unbelievable!
Mind you, it's equally surprising that its 1932 precursor 'Tarzan The Ape Man' hasn't appeared either -- but there's a lot more to see in 'Tarzan and his Mate'.
Surely these should get an airing on Warner Archive. We want ape-action now.
Time makes a difference, for some. Growing up as a kid I loved the first 6 movies made by the Weissmuller/Sullivan team. Growing up, I NEVER had the chance of owning any film or TV Show...so, like the records that I collected, the opportunity to realt pocess a copy of any of my favorite films was a dream come true!!

And WB did release the box set of the those films back in 2004. I too kept wondering why no BRD re;ease was followed up, especily since the leaps in film processing and restoration have grown by leaps and bounds!! The first 6 fllms; Tarzan the Ape Man, Tarzan & His Mate, Tarzan Escapes, Tarzan finds a Son, Tarzan's Secret Treasure ending with Tarzan's New York Adverture were done well, for 2004.
However, There really needs to be a more competent and focused restoration on these classic films, to be released on BRD. Like most large archives, WBA won't move or even start unless there is some sort of interest be the buying public. Itseems fewer and fewer buyers want physical formats and the younger ones are disconnected to that media in lew of streaming formats. At the end of the day, you definatly have my vote!!! If there's a market for movies like "Gold Diggers of 1933" surly the first 6 Tarzan films have a shot at a wonderful BRD Box Set!!!

Attachments

• 91IulyRCPDL._SL1500_.jpg
    91IulyRCPDL._SL1500_.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 38

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Granted the 2004 WB box set was nice, of the first 6 movies as Vol 1, if nothing else it does show that fair quality elements do exsist and the possibilites of restoration to BRD is well established. It'sjust giving the push towards doing it by WBA, right?

Attachments

• 91IulyRCPDL._SL1500_.jpg
    91IulyRCPDL._SL1500_.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 39

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
agreed that I would dearly love to see those original MGM 6 films and the RKO 6 after, but as stated not holding my breath, if it happens, I will be ecstatic,

but there are other films that would probably be easier to release, the Scott films, or the latter Henry films, before circling back to the 30's and 40's out put.

just remember, that those fake ears on the elephants (to make Asian look African), will really be noticeable in HD.

and both of the first two films have some definite pre-code moments.
If they can, more power to them, LOL!!! That would not be a deal breaker for me, LOL!! If I can live with the stock jungle footage and the fake natives, I can ive with the fake ears, LOL!!!!

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

So, the Tarzan films could be released on Blu-Ray, or not. And if they're released, it could be next month, or not for a long time. And as for them being released in order: they are doing this with the Thin Man films, but for the Broadway Melody films, they are starting with the last one! Of course, the Broadway Melody films are not sequential the way the Tarzan and Thin Man films are, but it just goes to show that Warners is not locked to any particular pattern.

Short version: there's no way to know Warners' plans for any given title until they tell us it will be released. Don't give up hope, but don't hold your breath waiting either. The one constant seems to be that as soon as you, personally, order a DVD of a film you've been waiting for a Blu-Ray of, the Blu-Ray appears!
it's now Jan 2022, and still nothing from WBA...it almost feels like a blinking contest, to see who blinks first!!! LOL!!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
. . . and that's why some people never give up hoping that one day there will be exquisite Blu-ray discs of High Society, Raintree County, Ryan's Daughter etc. etc.
it's now Jan 2022, and still nothing???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks