*Missing* I need to put a picture of my cdrom drive on a milk carton

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimColeman, Dec 7, 2001.

1. JimColeman

JimColeman Agent

Hi all, having trouble with my HP pc that is running win98se. It’s a PII 400mhz with 12.7gb and 60gb hd's. Recently I installed and uninstalled Nero 5.5 due to conflicts with directcd and now my factory internal cdrom is not being recognized in bios or windows. Device manager says there is a conflict with my “secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)”. What in the heck is a “dual fifo” . Anyhow, the cdrom is secondary master and zip drive is secondary slave. The zip drive shows up in bios but not in windows. I've updated drivers, no luck. I've reformatted hd, no luck. I’ve deleted the secondary IDE controller from within Windows device manager, rebooted and it’s still not detected. Any idea what happened?

My external cdwriter (hp7200) is recognized in windows and works fine (not that that has anything to do with the problem).

Thanks for any help,

Jim

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Dual FIFO means that you have 2 channels that operated on the First In First Out ruleset

Do you have Master/Slave set properly?

3. JimColeman

JimColeman Agent

I fix it. Replaced the secondary IDE cable and now everything is hunky dory.