What's new

Missing "Email alerts"?? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I generally subscribe to just about every thread I participate in, and lately I'm noticing a very evident downswing in the amount of emails I've been receiving.

For example, for the post in this forum about "25,000 members"... I got an email alert regarding Ron's initial reply, but no emails for the responses that followed.

Hopefully I'm making some semblance of sense here. Anyone else notice this, or am I just losing my mind?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I think it's set up so that you only get a notification once for each thread, until you've visited the thread again.

So, in that thread, you got the notice about Ron's reply, and until you go there, you won't get any more notices. I think it's done this way to keep the notices to a minimum.

/Mike

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Micke -

I know of several message boards that handle email alerts precisely that way. But HTF (up until very recently) has definitely been sending all responses via email.

Either way suits me fine. I was just curious about it happening recently.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure VB defualts to one update until your return the the forum. Maybe Parker recently changed it or something?

Does the email say you'll only get one email until your return? Most that use that rule are stamped that way.

I've never used the subscribe feature, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

-Vince

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I know I saw a message on the site re:update notification that said what I said above (but more eloquently :)). Can't find it right now though. I too remember that it didn't use to be that way here. Personally, I like that I don't get e-mails all the time, but maybe there should be a choice.
/Mike

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ok, I uploaded some new code the other day and this reset the email notifications to be based on your last visit. So you would have to come back to the threads that you were following to be able to get more notifications. I had gone in and changed this a while back but didn't put the changes back in with the upgrades.

So if you go to the Control Panel > Edit Options you will see an option called "Thread Reviews with Reply" this needs to be set to YES. That way you will get a reply anytime anyone posts to a thread. If on the other hand you only want to be notified via email only one time (until you visit the thread again) then set this to NO.

As it was changed to recently it would have only sent you an email notification the one time until you visited the thread again. Now if you want you can have an email sent out to you each time.

The script will not go back in and resend emails that haven't been sent out before. So if you have a bunch of subscribed threads that show a bunch of responses to them in the Control Panel then you will have to read those reponses for now. Then all new responses will be sent to you if you have the Thread Reviews turned on. (It is turned on by default.)

Parker

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Edit Options you will see an option called "Thread Reviews with Reply" this needs to be set to YES. That way you will get a reply anytime anyone posts to a thread. If on the other hand you only want to be notified via email only one time (until you visit the thread again) then set this to NO.
What in the world does the thread review have to do with e-mail notifications?
I don't want an e-mail every time someone replies if I haven't visited the thread (my Hotmail e-mail fills up real quick), but I do want a notification the first time someone replies (the way it has been for a while now) after my last visit.
However, I also want the thread review option, something that is extremely helpful when replying. Why can't we have both, as they don't seem to be related at all? Couldn't there just be another option like "Only receive e-mail notification for first reply since last thread visit?" (OK, please don't call it something as clumsy as that though :)).
/Mike

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mike:

Duh! Of course you are right. I guess I look out the other option too. I make so many different changes around here I forget what I have done and how I did it. So, I will change this around yet again.

Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Sorry about the confusion. I have added a new option called "Receive an Email each time someone replies to your subscribed threads?" that allows you to chose between getting one email or emailed with each response to a thread.

The other option "Thread Reviews With Reply" is for turning off seeing all of the previous posts in a thread when you are replying instead of just the frame.

Parker

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry to bug you again, but it doesn't seem to be working... I still get updates every time someone posts a reply, even if I haven't visited the thread.

Thanks,

Mike

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
This is now working as it should. If you go to the User Control Panel > Edit Options and say No to the "Receive an Email each time someone replies to your subscribed threads?" then you will only get one reply to a subscibed thread until you visit that thread. If you chose Yes you will get an email each time someone responds to a thread that you are subscribed to.

If you no longer wish to track a thread just go to the User Control Panel and unsubscribe to the thread in question.

Sorry for the hassle of multiple emails until I got this fixed.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks