Missing "Email alerts"??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I generally subscribe to just about every thread I participate in, and lately I'm noticing a very evident downswing in the amount of emails I've been receiving.

For example, for the post in this forum about "25,000 members"... I got an email alert regarding Ron's initial reply, but no emails for the responses that followed.

Hopefully I'm making some semblance of sense here. Anyone else notice this, or am I just losing my mind?

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I think it's set up so that you only get a notification once for each thread, until you've visited the thread again.

So, in that thread, you got the notice about Ron's reply, and until you go there, you won't get any more notices. I think it's done this way to keep the notices to a minimum.

/Mike

3. Scott Weinberg

Micke -

I know of several message boards that handle email alerts precisely that way. But HTF (up until very recently) has definitely been sending all responses via email.

Either way suits me fine. I was just curious about it happening recently.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I'm pretty sure VB defualts to one update until your return the the forum. Maybe Parker recently changed it or something?

Does the email say you'll only get one email until your return? Most that use that rule are stamped that way.

I've never used the subscribe feature, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

-Vince

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Scott, I know I saw a message on the site re:update notification that said what I said above (but more eloquently [​IMG]). Can't find it right now though. I too remember that it didn't use to be that way here. Personally, I like that I don't get e-mails all the time, but maybe there should be a choice.
    /Mike

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I am looking into this.

Parker

7. Parker Clack

Parker
    Ok, I uploaded some new code the other day and this reset the email notifications to be based on your last visit. So you would have to come back to the threads that you were following to be able to get more notifications. I had gone in and changed this a while back but didn't put the changes back in with the upgrades.

So if you go to the Control Panel > Edit Options you will see an option called "Thread Reviews with Reply" this needs to be set to YES. That way you will get a reply anytime anyone posts to a thread. If on the other hand you only want to be notified via email only one time (until you visit the thread again) then set this to NO.

As it was changed to recently it would have only sent you an email notification the one time until you visited the thread again. Now if you want you can have an email sent out to you each time.

The script will not go back in and resend emails that haven't been sent out before. So if you have a bunch of subscribed threads that show a bunch of responses to them in the Control Panel then you will have to read those reponses for now. Then all new responses will be sent to you if you have the Thread Reviews turned on. (It is turned on by default.)

Parker

8. Scott Weinberg

Thanks for the explanation, Parker! Glad to know I'm not losing my mind!

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

10. Parker Clack

Parker
    Mike:

Duh! Of course you are right. I guess I look out the other option too. I make so many different changes around here I forget what I have done and how I did it. So, I will change this around yet again.

Parker

11. Parker Clack

Parker
    Sorry about the confusion. I have added a new option called "Receive an Email each time someone replies to your subscribed threads?" that allows you to chose between getting one email or emailed with each response to a thread.

The other option "Thread Reviews With Reply" is for turning off seeing all of the previous posts in a thread when you are replying instead of just the frame.

Parker

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Thanks for the speedy assistance!

/Mike

13. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I'm sorry to bug you again, but it doesn't seem to be working... I still get updates every time someone posts a reply, even if I haven't visited the thread.

Thanks,

Mike

14. Parker Clack

Parker
    Mike:

Ok, I will look into again.

Parker

15. Parker Clack

Parker
    Sorry, I am still looking into why this isn't working as it should. I should have it fixed soon.

Parker

16. Parker Clack

Parker
    This is now working as it should. If you go to the User Control Panel > Edit Options and say No to the "Receive an Email each time someone replies to your subscribed threads?" then you will only get one reply to a subscibed thread until you visit that thread. If you chose Yes you will get an email each time someone responds to a thread that you are subscribed to.

If you no longer wish to track a thread just go to the User Control Panel and unsubscribe to the thread in question.

Sorry for the hassle of multiple emails until I got this fixed.

Parker