What's new

Missing Classics (1 Viewer)

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Hello all!

I know I'm coming considerably late to the party but I'm currently hard at work building a DVD collection of the AFI's 100 Greatest American Movies of All Time and I've noticed some gaps.

I'm hearing now that a DVD of The Jazz Singer is coming next year, so we'll skip that.

But I can't find a DVD of the 1930's Wuthering Heights anywhere plus I'm wondering why The African Queen has never been released on DVD.

If anyone has heard anything about potential releases, let me know, OK? Truth is, I'm doing this to have a classic movie collection, plus I plan on getting married soon and would love to share these movies with my fiance. Thanks all!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Good to hear about the possiblity of African Queen on DVD. I'm honestly surprised why it hasn't had a US release before now.

As for the others, sorry to say, I have a Region 1 player only, so anything else would have to be Canadian. I'm holding on to a hope that Wuthering Heights is going to be re-released soon as a new DVD. Makes no sense not to have a classic out on DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a Region 1 Wuthering Heights dvd that came out back in the day, 97/98 time period. I'll have to look at the dvd again, but I thought MGM released it?

Crawdaddy

Corey

Screenwriter

97/98?? oh yeah, it's definately time for a re-release...that'a all i really want is that and that pesky "rebecca."

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Not sure when MGM did their DVD release, but yes, the Samuel Goldwyn DVD was in 1997. Both versions are OOP, so one hopes a re-release is coming from some source soon.

Anyone have anything more concrete on African Queen or a reason why no release before now?

Corey

Screenwriter

The film has been released domestically on VHS video, but not yet on DVD, pending current film restoration work now being done. While Granada International holds international rights, the underlying domestic rights are held by CBS (whose Viacom predecessor acquired the rights from copyright holder Horizon Film Management in the 1970s, and for a time in the 1980s, 20th Century Fox had the U.S. rights until Viacom re-acquired the film in 1997); Paramount Pictures (acting on behalf of CBS) currently handles domestic theatrical distribution rights. It can often be found on either Turner Classic Movies or Pay-per-view video on TV, causing low video sales at many retailers around the country.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Sounds good, hopefully an announcement comes soon.

Hopefully a new release for Wuthering Heights soon too, if they do a series for Laurence Olivier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks