What's new

Missing Audio (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I have a Sony CDP-CX335 (300 disc changer) connected via digital optical to the CD IN on a Sony STR DA333ES. The first CD played after powering up the 335 will have the first second or so of music clipped but all CD's played after that will be OK.

Before I got the 335 I was using my single disc DVDP to play CD's so this happened every time you put in a new disc.

1. Is there any way to avoid the clipping? And if not, why don't the manufacturer's fix it? Surely the equipment could be designed to avoid this problem.
  2. With the 335 it only does it on the first disc (even though you're playing a multitude of different discs) because the door hasn't been opened?[/list=1]

Not a major thing, I got used to it doing it on EVERY disc with the single DVDP so this is actually an improvement. I'm just a curious guy. :D

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Sounds almost like your receiver is having trouble picking up the data stream or switching to the digital stream on the first disc.

Why this happens, I do not know. Try switching from the optical to a digital coax or a set of analog cables between the CD changer and receiver and see if that makes a difference. It will most likely sound different, but it may help to solve the mystery as to why the first few seconds are clipped.

Also, have you tried contacting Sony to see if it may be a reported bug with the receiver?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Clinton,
It is my understanding that this is common an all brands of receivers, that when a new disc is inserted (or first disc played) the reciever has to determine what audio signal (DTS, DD, PCM, etc.) it is getting. By the time it figures it out, you've missed the first 1 or 2 seconds of audio.
I believe you're correct that an analog connection would solve the problem, but there are too many benefits to using the digital to downgrade to the analog.
I'm just wondering if the manufacturer's have or will come up with a solution.
I think I answered my own question on No. 2.
I wonder if I can tell the 333 that the optical CD IN will always be a standard CD (PCM?)

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Well, a couple of things.
Yes is is definitely your receiver - not your CD player.
And two, manufatcturers have fixed it (at least Denon has).
My 3802 doesn't do this at all! The reason? It has very fast detection. This is a funciton of how fast your receiver can detect, and is a sign that the engineers just couldn't figure it out. Go get a new Denon, and this will go away. :) Just like software for computers, some know how to design it better than others.
Secondly, on my 3802, you can tell the receiver that a PCM signal is coming in. This will lock it to PCM, and not try and detect it. This is in case it does have trouble detecting the signal. But so far, in auto mode, I have never had this problem. I can also lock in a DTS signal if needed.
Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks