Missile Defence Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_L, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I'm just a little annoyed. I just saw a news magazine on television extolling the benefits of placing million-dollar (each) fully automatic missile defence systems on the backs of commercial airplanes to protect them from missiles that may be launched by terrorists.

This is the same crew that claimed that the Space Defence Innitiative was too costly and unreliable.

IE - ground and space systems shooting down NUCLEAR warheads = bad : Strap one on to the ass of a 747 and shoot down stinger missiles = good.

Anyone want to take a shot at explaining that logic?

btw - the commercial jet one is laser as well.

2. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Strap one on to the ass of a 747 and shoot down stinger missiles = good.

It's good if you're on the 747. [​IMG]

3. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

I think I saw the same show...but I did not really see anyone
    "extolling" anything. I did the show explaining that there were possibly 1000 unaccounted for stinger type shoulder fired missiles, and that they were in the US and in the hands of terrorists. I did hear them say that the numbers show that it would cost a million dollars a plane or about 10 billion dollars to outfit the commercial aircraft of this country with that particular laser defense system.I found it to be a pretty honest and well done story. I must have missed anyone "extolling" . I did hear them say that it was not likely that anything would happen any time soon, given that it is not in this years budget...and it would take about 2 years to get quotes in. What did I miss?

4. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

You might want to consider the technical challenges faced by the respective systems. The challenges, and cost associated with, a space based defense system capable of interdicting ballistic missies are orders of magnitude greater than those faced by a defense system that must cope with man portable missiles.

Also, while there are differing opinions on the topic to be sure; some fear that a ballistic missile defense system might increase the likelihood of conflict due to the sense of security ( whether it be misplaced or not ) afforded U.S. forces. Those considerations do not apply to a defense system for commercial jet airliners.

- Walter.

5. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

6. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Apples and oranges. The surface to air missile threat is huge and real. And the cost is not just the cost per plane, but the cost to the economy (business, tourism) if a plane gets shot down (as an Israeli plane almost did in Africa). That said, I'm for missile defense too, when it works.

7. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I think that ejecting those foil-wrapped pretzels would be perfect chaff for radar-guided missiles.

10. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Yes it is very political.
    I have been working on missile defense since 1994 on off and most programs are driven by politics and not science /engineering. The 1st intercept took place in the 70s so it's not like we cant do it.
    The bad thing is we keep reiventing the wheel over and over and each time $$$$$ goes down the drain.
    I just hope to god it works if we ever need it....that's why I started in the 1st place

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

But if we really want to knock down missiles, why don't we use shuttle tiles?
    Sad but true

13. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

dunno. For what it costs I'm sure it works [​IMG]

15. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

For that matter has Gulfstream been able to test the system? It would seem that they would not be able to as the system is obviously not military issue and a private company wouldn't have the ability to test the system on their own.

16. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I would say they have, considering their clientel. Also they buy the system from sanders and don't design or build it in-house

18. Kevin-M

Kevin-M Agent

When I heard of this, all I could think of was that Simpsons episode where the fighter jets spotted Willy on radar, and upon firing their missiles, they simply turned back around and hit the jets that fired them.

19. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

John, I'm afraid you can't test an anti-SAM system unless the target has a guidance system as plane defenses depend on spoofing or frying the guidance system. The defenses do not destroy the incoming missile; they only make it miss. There are some good pics somewhere of a AC-130 using decoy flares... Anyone got the links handy?

Dan

(there are techs in progress to blow up incoming artillery shells in flight, though).

20. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter