What's new

Miss Universe (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Any one watch the Miss Universe on CBS tonight? Is this thing rigged? Don't know why I feel this way about beauty contests.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I watched a few minutes of it, while desparately seeking something interesting to watch. I thought it was uninteresting, like all other pageants I've seen.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I like beauty pageants, and other contests of the same kind (like the Eurovision Song Contest, if anyone's heard of it).

I don't think it's rigged, but obviously it's more to it than just the stage show we see on TV. I think they judge them based on their behavior all the time they stay there.

I was susprised to see Miss Germany with her big fake boobs, don't see that on these shows normally.

I think the right girl won, Miss Russia. She gave good answers, was very beautiful (of course) and just had the right "Miss Universe"-esque charm.

/Mike

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
There was a cool documentary on PBS last fall about pageants (actually Miss America)....much more entertaining than any of the actual pageants I've watched. Anybody else catch it?

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
They were talking about this on the radio today, and they claimed that the translator mis-translated Miss Russia's final answer to the question "What makes you blush". They translated her response as "When I say the wrong words" (which brought a huge audience response), but on the radio they said that she really said "When I don't tell the truth". They did play the sound bite on the air and you could clearly hear her say the word "pravda", which means truth in Russian. Does anybody know anything about this?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
D. Scott,
I haven't heard, but I can understand Russian. If there is some way for me to hear it, I could tell you exactly what it means.

Beauty pageants are fun for about 3 minutes, if only for those questions, like, "What you do create world peace?" and to hear about how they all want to be veterinarians.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
No, I don't know how to hear the sound bite, nor do I know where to get a transcript, but they did play the sound bite on the radio. I assume that the radio was wrong about the translation since a lot of people speak russian and it probably would have caused a big uproar by now if true, but I just wanted to know if anybody else had heard anything about this.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Aren't there "management teams" hired by country/state to "prep" the women to win the contest? And what's the deal with Miss Venazuela listening to the questions in Spanish, then answering in perfect English. My sister said this gives her more time to think about her answers.
What makes me blush? Any of the 5 finalists standing naked in front of me. Actually, I will do more than just blush :D

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I noticed that during the broadcast. I heard her say something about "Pravda", and was surprised when the word "truth" wasn't mentioned in the translation, but I just figured that it wasn't a literal translation, since I' don't know the russian language.

/Mike

Arkady Kleiner

Auditioning
Being Russian, i was told to switch to the channel with the pageant when Miss Russia was answering her questions (was watching "Peter Jennings reporting" on ABC).
The mistake in translation i heard (i switched back the channel before she could answer everything), happened during the following question:
"If your whole life was on film, which part of your life would you erase, and which would you replay?"
Unfortunately the translator said it as the following:
"If your whole life was on film, which part of your life would you shoot (as in shoot a picture, or take off {something}), and which would you replay?"
The word he should have used was "steret" (delete, erase), instead he used the word "snat", (to shoot, take off).
That completely changed the meaning of the whole question, and therefore completely screwed up Miss Russias answer. She was supposed to give something negative and something positive about her life to erase and replay respectively. But as you notice, she didn't give anything negative to "erase" because as far as she was concerned, she wasn't told to.
If as you say more translation mistakes happend after i switched the channel, then that translator is really inept.
Surprised to hear that Miss Russia won, she was by far not the most beautiful woman there, in my opinion.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
If they switched the Swimsuit competition to the lingerie competition, I would watch. Otherwise, sooooooooo boring.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Larry, they pretty much did that yesterday. The swimsuits looked MUCH more like lingerie than swimming gear...

Arkady, thanks for the comments, interesting. I wish you could have heard the other question too, would have been interesting to hear what was said then too.

I thought Miss Russia was the most beautiful of the finalists, along with Miss Panama and Miss South Africa, so I was happy she won.

/Mike

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The swimsuits looked MUCH more like lingerie than swimming gear...
I was deep in concentration during that segment. It was everything a Victoria Secret show would have liked to be.
I kept thinking, "We have conquered famine in all those countries."

Jim

Danny R

Supporting Actor
One of the swimsuit contestants (don't remember which one) looked like she had her ribs poking straight out though. Not a "hungry" look, but just weirdly proportioned.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first few minutes, because I like to see all of the contestants from all the countries. It was pretty cool until they showed the contestant from the United States. I was outraged to see her wearing a firefighter's helmet and a t-shirt that said "NYFD" while smiling a big, fake, plastic smile. How disgusting. As far as using 9/11 to achieve trivial goals, that was the worst I've seen so far. I was cheering and grinning like a madman when USA WASN'T chosen for the semifinal 10. (Though I imagine the sponsors of the show were groaning, with the sound of millions of TV sets having their channels changed or being clicked off.)

Nice to hear that Russia won. I took notice of her in the opening segment.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping for South Africa to win:)
China getting the final 5 on the first try ... Politics? ...Whoops,nuff said:)
Brent

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the pic link, Patrick. She looks natural and very good in the swimsuit. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks