What's new

3D Miss Sadie Thomp-soon? (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
With SADIE ready to go, it's a very simple process to author and release on 3-D Blu-ray. Grover Crisp and his restoration team at Sony have done all the work.

On GORILLA, we would need to identify the current transfer (hopefully it's the same side from start to finish), scan the opposing side from 35mm and then do shot-by-shot panel-matching and alignment in order to create a widescreen (1.66:1) 3-D master.

I really don't see Twilight Time paying for this work so it's up to Fox to cover the costs. As they know, we can do the best job at the most reasonable price.

Yes, we met with Grover at the HTF meet. He showed us some before after restoration scenes of movies he is currently working on. I asked him about future releases on Blu-ray and he responded that he does the restoration work. It's up to someone else to decide if the title is going to be released on Blu-ray. Sometimes its just for a special presentation only.

Keith Cobby said:
They released Man in the Dark which although not a great film looks very good in 3-D. Presumably sales are slow. Sadie should be a different proposition because it is in colour and stars Rita Hayworth.

The slow sales might be why they have not released another 3D title.

Even though TT titles are priced at $29.99 and higher they are not making much of a profit. They are doing this because of their love of films. They are not getting rich. I can see how they have to be careful in which titles they choose to release.

Nick was saying at the HTF meet they had a number of British titles that he thought were great films but most did not sell well. I asked if Zulu was one of those titles that did not sell and he said no, they sold about 2500 copies. I was surprised with the previous Blu-ray having been released and the negative reviews both received. I have copies of both Blu-rays so that did not stop me from buying them.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think I remember Nick commenting that Man in the Dark sold well enough for them to not ignore any future 3D releases. I'll be interested to see if the more modern 3D film they're releasing in December will sell as well.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
RolandL said:
Yes, we met with Grover at the HTF meet. He showed us some before after restoration scenes of movies he is currently working on. I asked him about future releases on Blu-ray and he responded that he does the restoration work. It's up to someone else to decide if the title is going to be released on Blu-ray. Sometimes its just for a special presentation only.

The slow sales might be why they have not released another 3D title.

Even though TT titles are priced at $29.99 and higher they are not making much of a profit. They are doing this because of their love of films. They are not getting rich. I can see how they have to be careful in which titles they choose to release.

Nick was saying at the HTF meet they had a number of British titles that he thought were great films but most did not sell well. I asked if Zulu was one of those titles that did not sell and he said no, they sold about 2500 copies. I was surprised with the previous Blu-ray having been released and the negative reviews both received. I have copies of both Blu-rays so that did not stop me from buying them.

They do have Harlock: Space Pirate 3D coming in December, but being a 2013 film and animated it's not exactly a great comparison.

I'm pretty sure the "British titles" Nick was referring to were the Protagonist Pictures / Film Four titles. Most of these even have a lower price point of $24.95. For my part I've picked up a couple (When the Wind Blows and A Month in the Country).

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Brandon Conway said:
They do have Harlock: Space Pirate 3D coming in December, but being a 2013 film and animated it's not exactly a great comparison.

I'm pretty sure the "British titles" Nick was referring to were the Protagonist Pictures / Film Four titles. Most of these even have a lower price point of $24.95. For my part I've picked up a couple (When the Wind Blows and A Month in the Country).

Nick mentioned he was going to Japan, so we might see more Japanese titles.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Saw Miss Sadie T for the first time yesterday. Really liked how 3d was used in dark/unlit scenes. There was no intermission card though, wonder if that will be on the blu-ray release when TT eventually puts it out.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm pleased to see this, but I was hoping that they would release the 3-D version of mad magician.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
But Todd, didn't anyone tell you, 3-D is dead?!
It is? Damnit! Why aren't I told these things?

I think Mill Creek has locked up the rights on that one.

Unfortunately, they released it flat.

You mean I have to buy a PlayStation 3 to get The Mad Magician after all?

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE!

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
On Wikipedia it presently says on Miss Sadie Thompson that "After a two-week run, all 3-D prints were pulled."

I understand that this is not correct?

(This film will be a purchase for me)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Not true.

What did change into the Christmas/New Year's release was Columbia dropping the requirement that theaters had to play it in 3-D, but it was still available and many 3-D bookings continued into 1954.

Sadie 2D.jpg

Last edited:

Danoldrati

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Oldrati
Not true.

What did change into the Christmas/New Year's release was Columbia dropping the requirement that theaters had to play it in 3-D, but it was still available and many 3-D bookings continued into 1954.

View attachment 30673
Hi
I saw Money from Home 3D at the Goldman theater in Philadelphia. My Father took me and it was playing with "Hondo" 3D Back in those days in Philadelphia. They had Prevue day, the movie starting it's new run and the film ending it's run would be a double feature all day. Now I saw Hondo 3D and Money from home 3D and I pretty sure that was the double feature. I can't remember which was starting and which was ending. This Prevue day was only at the first run theaters and usually during the week, Tuesday or Wednesday. I forgot to add, the problem in 1953 was a First run movie only played at one theater, you didn't have a choice, you watch the movie the way it was presented. When the multiple theatre run started, the film was shown 2D or 3D, they had first run,second run, third run and forth run.(Maybe Fifth Also). They had a system for most movies. Hope I didn't confuse anybody.LOL

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks, Dan. That's a great memory, thanks for sharing.

What other 3-D movies did you see in Philadelphia?

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Ok. I broke down and bought a PS3 just so I could get The Mad Magician. I hope the fact that it's being downloaded doesn't mean that one day I go to watch it and find that Sony decided I can't have it anymore.

I so don't trust streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks