What's new

Miss America (No HD) (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Why wasn't Miss America in HD? I read all week about how it's been struggling in the ratings, and becoming largely irrelevant. Having this thing broadcast in HD would have kept a little more interest on it.

My wife and I try and watch it every year (it was a tradition when we were dating and would come back for the fair during the fall from school). Before it started, we had both had long days and just wanted to relax. I set the ground rules -- if it was in HD, we had to watch it downstairs, if it was SD, then we'd go watch it upstairs. What's the point? The point is if this were in HD, we would have watched the hole thing instead of checking the results on Yahoo and watching something else after we got bored. Miss America has been agonizingly slow the last few years, and HD would have kept my interest and made me watch the hole thing -- thus, exposing me to more advertisers.

Huh. Oh well.

Doug

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But why would HD have kept your interest if SD didn't? For what it was, the SD broadcast wasn't bad enough to turn away from if you had the interest in the contest in the first place.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty bland pageant last night. Clak Aiken really shouldn't be doing "There she is..." because he sounds too young/inexperienced when he sings the Miss America song.

Can't say I was all that impressed with the final 10 or the final 5. I don't think HD would have made the finalists anymore appealing than they were.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I thought it was a bad show this year. I hated how they ended the show with the talent competition.

~T

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thank goodness I was able to flip between the pageant, the UT-UF football game, and more poker on the WB last night!

Chris Harrison was pretty lame as the host for the pageant as well.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
I agree with Patrick. Your logic is that people are so starved for HD programming that they'll watch anything. Even if this were true, I don't think enough people own HD TVs to make much of a dent in the ratings. Seeing that having the women show more skin can't even bring in new viewers, the ratings problem is clearly a lack of interest.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Patrick --

As mentioned above, I just can't get enough HD. I'll watch all kinds of stuff I wouldn't have watched before because it's in HD.

I even watched the Peter Cetera and Amy Grant Soundstage the other night (not the whole thing, I swear,) because it looked so damn good. Thankfully, most nights there's something sports related. :) I've even caught myself watching ABC Primetime shows because they're in HD and Comcast doesn't have the local CBS affiliate.

Doug

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've gotten over that "Oh, it's in HD, I must watch it" phase. It will happen for you as well.

How does that phrase go? "If you polish a turd, it's still a turd."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks