Mismatched speakers? Paradigm Monitor 9s and Klipsch Quintets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Hsu, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Just like the title says, a fellow HTF member is getting me a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9s tomorrow, and I got a pair of Klipsch Quintets (also through HTF! [​IMG]) over the summer, to be used as rears. Will the different designs make the soundstage seem a bit weird, with the horns in the back? I figure that the Quints are stronger with the highs, and that's what should be of concern in the rears, but will it be too big of a difference? Will I have to turn down the rear speakers or anything?
    Maybe I'm just over-analyzing because I can't wait to get my speakers and receiver. [​IMG]

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Get an SPL meter and test disc and make sure you calibrate everything. Then it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Since they are not timbre matched, you won't get a smooth transition from front to back. It shouldn't be a big deal for movies, but music should be left to the 9s in stereo. Otherwise you will hear a jump from one sound to the other when fading to the rear. Definatly stay away from multi-channel music. The differences in speaker types will be very noticable there.

The Quintets should be fine for now, but ultimatly I would reccommend you get a pair of Mini Monitors or ADP-370s to balance everything and give you a more even sound.

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I ran Monitors upfront with Quintets rear for several weeks, and it was OK.

I did switch to Atoms and it was a definite improvement.

Incidentally, I find the Atoms rear fine for my purpose and do not intent to upgrade them to Mini Monitors (which would be ideal).

You will be fine with the Quintets as long as you stick to movies.

--
    Holadem

4. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

The difference is going to huge!!!! I have the monitor 9's and they sound way different than anything made by Klipsch. Klipsch are way bright in comparison even to the point of fatigue. if you want to use to use the 9's as your mains get rid of the Klipsch. look into getting the mini's or adp 370 currently I use the mini's and will get the adp's when i upgrade to a 7.1 system. but belive me timbrle balance will be way off.