Misleading USA Today HT article..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alf S, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Alf S

Alf S Producer

Alfer
    Readthis on USAToday.com this a.m.
    Although he is trying to help get people to upgrade their TV's etc. he's basically telling those folks dead set on keeping their old TV, "old TV = no DVD"
    I dropped him an email with a link to an RF converter listed on BestBuy [​IMG]
    Alfer

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, but an RF converter/demodulator is hardly the ticket to video bliss, and the resulting image would be little better than standard broadcast television or VHS. May as well get a reasonably recent-vintage television with at least composite-video connections.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Wow what a specacularly incompetent piece of journalism!!!! Simply unbelievable!!!!
    A 5 minute trip into any Radio Shack or asking a few slaes drones at Best Buy would have yielded the instant easy answer that all you need is a simple $30 RF converter and you're good to go.
    I was going to be easy on this guy, but I simply can not believe that he wrote this article! I mean, lots of people who I know who have -no idea- about HT or A/v stuff whatsoever are running their DVD players through RF converters. All they did was ask how!
    Amazing. Amazing. Shaking my head.
    I pity the poor Joe Six Pack who bought a $58 DVD player for the 20 year old console TV in the rec room for Christmas and now thinks that it won't work. [​IMG]

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I used to use an RF converter for a couple weeks before I got a new TV. I figured even the added programming on the DVDs would make a DVD player worthwhile over VHS, picture quality aside.

And the good thing was Radio Shack's nice return policy, I traded the RF converter to an analog SPL meter when I got a new TV (with regular compsite inputs and an S-video input)

Jay

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Radio Shack is currently running a TV ad for their $29.95 RF converter. Sorry, Terri Hatcher is not in the ad.

6. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I just helped my Brother-in-Law's parents setup their home theater system. They only had the RF input to their TV. They purchased a RF Converter at RS and they are good to go.

Works pretty slick, but god do they need a new TV.

Paul

7. BrianTIR

BrianTIR Extra

I bought someone a DVD player for christmas and believe there TV even though new may lack composite/s-video inputs. Can I hook the DVD player into say a VCR with composite inputs and have that send the signal to the TV?

Thanks

8. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    That is exactly how i've done it in many situations. you have the a/v cables going into your VCR which then connects to your TV through RF connectors.
    I was in one of the local Home Theater Stores the other day looking at their JVC DVHS player. I noticed that in addition to the standard connectors, it also had RF connectors on the back. [​IMG]

9. BrianTIR

BrianTIR Extra

Chris,

Thanks for confirming that!

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

11. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Modulators aren't the most evil thing on earth. The Recoton's that I carry (and most Blockbusters carry) just dropped to $20 and offer a picture better than VHS and broadcast. I have an HDTV and run component cables, etc, but I also understand the needs of those less enthused than us, as I deal with them daily..

And Philip is right - Macrovision will affect probably 3 out of every 5 DVD's you try. A famous exception to this would be Harry Potter, which doesn't have it. But most of them will have the slow fade in, fade out routine or color blurr. The RF mod is much prefereable to that.

Matt