Mirus speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David W Collier, Aug 31, 2002.

1. David W Collier

I live in Austin, TX. I found a company here that builds speakers under the name MirusAudio. They came Thursday night and set up 5 Mirus Initium speakers for me to demo for a couple of days. They will built the speakers to fit the openings in my HT cabinet, with virtually any finish including a finish to match the HT cabinet, tune them to my room acoustics and to the sound I like.
    Has anyone heard of this company or even better heard these speakers?

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

David,
    I heard them at a recent Austin HT event and they are VERY good. You should check out the local meets area as they are planning another get together in Sept. I'd love to attend but I really can't afford to fly out to Austin every few months! [​IMG]
    Brian

3. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

Hey David,

The Initiums are some great sounding speakers. Back when I was an avid audio DIYer, I used to build with the founders of Mirus, and can tell you that SOUND QUALITY is their top priority. They don't cut any corners when it comes to good parts and well thought-out designs. You may want to contact the local Austin HTF group, as I believe the Initiums were the speakers of choice for their HT processor shootout a few months ago. You could probably get a lot of good and unbiased opinions from the attendees.

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

David, I'm a local HT group member and did hear the Mirus Initiums at a recent meet wherein we listened to several pre/pros. The Initiums sounded great and I know the two guys put in many many hours in the design, and yes, they are uncompromising in their pursuit of quality sound. You're in a unique position living in Austin to have speaker designers tweak to your particular installation. I would jump on that opportunity.

Disclaimer: I'm not on the Mirus payroll, just admire good design and integrity.

5. Josh_Hull

Josh_Hull Auditioning

David,
    I have the prototype sub that Mirus created in their initial production. To be honest, I loved it so much, I have two now. My wife was going to divorce me due to the SPL in my living room, but since she is deaf now, she's rather dependent on me, and has held off... [​IMG]
    I agree with the others that their pursuit of quality is second to none, and the personal attention you'll get throughout the acquisition process will be unparalleled, I can assure you. I live in Cedar Park, so if you want to get a live reference for the quality of their low-range product, let me know.

6. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Do they have a website? Now you've got me curious..

7. David W Collier

The web site is www.mirusaudio.com but it is still under construction.
    Thanks guys for all of the feedback.