What's new

Miramax's Library Titles Find A Distributor (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
SHOCK TILL YOU DROP: Owners of the new Miramax have spent the last few months looking at various potential companies who could re-release their library titles on DVD, Blu-Ray and VOD. Some of these films include the Scream trilogy, Mimic, From Dusk Till Dawn and Pulp Fiction. Well, those duties have fallen on Lionsgate, which means you can probably expect new special editions of the aforementioned titles and more. Here's the full press release.

LIONSGATE(R) , a leading diversified filmed entertainment studio, Studiocanal and Miramax announced today that they have entered into a worldwide home entertainment distribution deal. Under the long-term deal, Lionsgate and Studiocanal will distribute more than 550 titles from the renowned Miramax film library via DVD, Blu-ray, EST and Internet Video On Demand (VOD), in addition to cable VOD internationally.

Lionsgate will partner with leading international distributor Studiocanal to distribute Miramax titles in the UK and Europe. The announcement was made by Steve Beeks, President and Co-Chief Operating Officer of Lionsgate, Olivier Courson, Chief Executive Officer of Studiocanal and Mike Lang, Chief Executive Officer of Miramax.

"The Miramax library will be one of the most treasured jewels in our home entertainment crown," said Beeks. "With our longstanding commitment and expertise in aggressively managing library titles, we are thrilled to bring together under one roof such Miramax film icons as Shakespeare in Love, The English Patient, Pulp Fiction and Good Will Hunting with our existing classics such as Dirty Dancing and Monster's Ball to create what is unquestionably one of the most powerful and prestigious filmed entertainment libraries in the world. We are looking forward to working with Mike and his incredible team on this exciting venture."

"We are pleased to expand our existing partnership with Lionsgate to encompass this exciting new venture with Miramax," said Courson. "The Miramax library features some of the best of American independent cinema, representing a wonderful mix of creative excellence, award winning films and commercial successes. The Miramax slate is a perfect fit for Studiocanal's core values and vision and we believe it will resonate with European audiences."

"With their expertise and success in the home entertainment marketplace, we consider both Lionsgate and Studiocanal to be the perfect partners to distribute these films," says Lang. "We are thrilled to have the opportunity to collaborate with them as we work to expand the availability of our library across all platforms to reach new audiences around the world."

The first home entertainment release under the deal will be The Switch in the US, the romantic comedy about friendship, fertility and family, starring Jennifer Aniston and Jason Bateman, which will be released on Blu-ray, DVD, VOD and available for digital download on March 15th.

The deal with Miramax continues to build on Lionsgate's tremendous success distributing third party product from some of the most prominent libraries in the world, including Studiocanal. Consisting of approximately 13,000 motion picture titles and television episodes, Lionsgate has one of the largest and most prestigious libraries in the entertainment industry with titles including Dirty Dancing, Memento, Monster's Ball, Crash and Rambo. Lionsgate has noted that the Company has achieved record library revenue for five consecutive years through a combination of organic replenishment and strategic acquisitions and distribution deals, despite a challenging marketplace.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, if this means that [COLOR= #b22222]55 Days At Peking[/COLOR] and [COLOR= #b22222]Circus World[/COLOR] will finally see an R1 release then I say "Hurrah!" After Miramax's releases of [COLOR= #b22222]El Cid [/COLOR]and [COLOR= #b22222]Fall Of The Roman Empire[/COLOR], I had expected that they would arrive more sooner than later.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by kingfish

what other titles does miramax have the rights to?

Check out IMDB under Miramax. There should be a list of the films they distributed and produced. For sure they own the produced titles and most of the distributed titles. The distributed over 500 films including the ones they produced. There may be a co-production or two that was released by the other production company, but that is rare.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I for one am not encouraged at this turn of events. Seeing Lionsgate's spotty track record on catalog titles, their tendency to recycle old transfers, and the hundreds of titles from Live, Vestron, Trimark, ITC, and others that they are just sitting on, all I can forsee is a lot of double dipping on the same hit Miramax titles while the ones we've wanted upgrades on will sit on the shelf.

FWIW, the Weinsteins took the Bronston titles with them to TWC, so they would still be the ones to take action on 55 DAYS AT PEKING or CIRCUS WORLD.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/echo-bridge-takes-on-miramax-dvd-titles/#more-107321

Ugh, looks like Echo Bridge will be distributing 251 Miramax titles including FROM DUSK TILL DAWN and MIMIC. So you can give up any hope of ever seeing Del Toro's director's cut of MIMIC. To rub more salt, Cliff Mac posted that Shout Factory bid on these titles, but, obviously, didn't offer as much as Echo Bridge. Way to treat your catalog like crap new Miramax owners.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Echo Bridge, eh? So these will be available at gas stations and supermarkets near you for $1.99. How is it that a fly-by-night like Echo Bridge has more money to bid on a considerable catalog than a real company like Shout? There's nothing that pisses me off more than companies that treat films like products to make money off of. What a shame

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
So these are the titles that Lionsgate did not want. Interesting turn of events. I mean really, Echo Bridge does not have the best reputation and have more or less been a direct to video distributor. Let's not forget that great title OLD DOG NEW TRICKS VOL. 4.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
I don't know whats up, but I find it hard to believe that Lionsgate passed on FROM DUSK TILL DAWN.

More salt in the wound, over at AVManiacs, Cliff said that Shout Factory's proposal including a "Producers Cut" of HALLOWEEN 6 and doing special editions of the Hong Kong films that Miramax owns.

Originally Posted by ahollis

So these are the titles that Lionsgate did not want. Interesting turn of events. I mean really, Echo Bridge does not have the best reputation and have more or less been a direct to video distributor. Let's not forget that great title OLD DOG NEW TRICKS VOL. 4.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Derrick King

I don't know whats up, but I find it hard to believe that Lionsgate passed on FROM DUSK TILL DAWN.

More salt in the wound, over at AVManiacs, Cliff said that Shout Factory's proposal including a "Producers Cut" of HALLOWEEN 6 and doing special editions of the Hong Kong films that Miramax owns.

Looks like Lionsgate was going for the prestigious titles. On the other hand, the Lionsgate deal is in collaboration with Studio Canal, perhaps they had no use for these titles or the foreign rights were tied up with others so these were a pass. I guess I am just trying to figure out why some of these titles were of no interest to Lionsgate.

It is a real let down that Shout! did not get these, for they would do them right. But everyone is in it for the money so you can't blame them to much. After all they have a debt to pay and a big one and they own the rights.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by SWFF

This is not good news. This must mean they are using the older transfers for these releases. There has not been enough time for new ones to have been produced. SHOUT! would have at least made sure it would be done right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks