Miramax to release The Thief in the Cobbler in pan & scan (originally Panavision)!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Patrick McCart, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    After checking several online stores, it looks like Richard Williams' The Thief and the Cobbler will be a pan & scan release. The film was shot in Panavision (2.35:1). DeepDiscountDVD, CDUniverse, DVDSoon, and several others list it as full frame.

The release date is March 8th and they want $29.99 MSRP. First of all, who is going to pay that much for this film, besides fans? Fans don't want a pan & scan piece of trash, so this release is 100% useless. In fact, I was going to buy this if it was at least widescreen, just so I can see the bulk that Richard Williams directed. So, there's $22 that will probably end up in the pockets of Warner Bros or Criterion.

Could Miramax screw up this film any more than they have already? They won't release the uncut workprint, they won't restore the film to its original length, now they won't even show the raped 1995 version in full 2.35:1. Even the laserdisc was widescreen!

Thanks for nothing, Miramax. [​IMG] [​IMG]

www.geocities.com/eddie_bowers/ has more info on the film and how it was demolished.

2. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

I'm amazed they set the SRP at $29.99.

3. Juan M. Rico

Juan M. Rico Stunt Coordinator

$29.99?

I got it already for free in a cereal box!

Who wants it for $20?

4. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Getting a 2.35:1 film in pan and scan out of a cereal box is the only way it'll ever come into my home, and then only because I didn't read the cereal box!

5. AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson Stunt Coordinator

It seems they'll be using the same transfer as the one for the "cereal box version"

6. EddieKE

EddieKE Auditioning

Just came back from a Tower Records in Los Angeles.

"The Thief and the Cobbler" DVD is pan-and-scan 1.33.

I won't be buying this one!

7. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Wait, is this the film that features M.C. Escher-esque backgrounds and sets? Wasn't Roy Disney trying to get this film restored or something? Or am I thinking of a different film?

8. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

The new book DISNEY WAR has a bit about THE THIEF. It really is no surprise that they are treating it like they did.

Disney agreed to release it if Williams worked on ROGER RABBIT. Then, they got into a fight with him about something and fired him. Forgot all the details but it is in the book.

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

From what I've read, Warner Bros. was in a negative pickup deal with Richard Williams in 1988. They pulled out after The Nutcracker Prince and Rover Dangerfield bombed.

10. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

Looks like the Weinstein Company owns it now -- because they are releasing a Thief and the Cobbler: Collector's Edition on November 21st. This one retails for a more reasonable $19.95.

I have no details at all -- nothing noted about aspect ratio or running time. Hopefully this is a balls-out collector's edition and not just a repackaging with the Weinstein banner on it.

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

What is your source? I really have a bad feeling it's just a price reduction of the current DVD.

Add:

Looks like this is just a price drop after all. I've checked a few websites and they're listing the 2005 DVD with an MSRP of $19.98 for Sept. 12. [​IMG]

12. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

My source is VPD, Inc.. While I'm also dubious, it is listed seperately from the 2005 disc (which is now on moratorium) and the new disc includes "Coll.Ed." in the title -- which is not part of the previous packaging.

13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Wow, looks like the September 12th release is a widescreen edition, but is the most edited Miramax cut (deletes about 8 minutes of footage and adds more voices than the 80 min. version released in Australia). A November 21st release is still listed separately, though.

[​IMG]

Maybe they'll be kind enough to include the eight minutes as an extra (a digital master exists, though it's non-anamorphic).

14. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Is "the most edited Miramax cut" any different than the existing U.S. releases of the film?

15. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

It has extra vocal talent and replaces some of the previous 1994 Majestic Films cast. The biggest editorial change is the complete deletion of the segment with the Mad Holy Old Witch, which is covered up poorly by a jump cut. Most of the "march" of the One-Eyes is gone, along with the first stretch of "Rube Goldberg" chain reactions in the war machine sequence.

There's a rare R4 DVD with the 1994 version, but it's pan & scan. It's still missing original voices and a lot of footage.

FYI, here's the 16x9 Miramax (from Japan) vs. the P&S Majestic (from Australia):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The P&S DVD generally has better color timing and contrast, but whites in dark scenes tend to be greenish.

16. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    That is very interesting, but I seriously just want to know whether or not "the most edited Miramax cut" you describe is the U.S. theatrical version. I enjoy that version and would like to know whether or not it will be included on the upcoming widescreen DVD.

17. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Yes, it's the American theatrical release.