Miramax and Hong Kong Films, a response from Harvey Weinstein

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Brown, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

News of the petitions against altering Asian films has finally reached Harvey Weinstein and he was asked what he thought. Here is a link to the full article http://us.imdb.com/StudioBrief/#3 but I like this quote the best, "I'm not cutting for fun," he told the New Yorker's Ken Auletta. "I'm cutting for the s*** to work."
    I would hate to be the one to tell John Woo, Yuen Woo Ping, Johnny To, Stephen Chow, and Tsui Hark that their movies are sh*t and need reworking. Especially since their films that Miramax is cutting have been FINISHED for years.
    What I think really irked Weinstein is that one petition says that altered movies should not be eligible for Oscar nomination for foreign film.
    Matt

2. Wouter Heyse

Wouter Heyse Agent

When I read that thread on IMDB, I literally fell out of my chair. This guy is clearly not in control of his mental process if he thinks he knows how to cut a movie better than the people responsible for making them in the first place. Sure, there might be instances where editing at a later stage might have saved a film from someone who didn't know what he was doing, but claiming that is the case with numerous films that were both critically and comercially lauded is just a sign of delusions of grandeur.
    Personally, I suspect Weinstein is so entrenched in Hollywood commercial crap that he probably couldn't even recognize a good foreign movie if it kicked him in the gonads.
    Sorry about going off on a tantrum here, I'll take my medication in a second...

3. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Wow. I'd say the AntiChrist has been revealed. What a f**khead.

4. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

For once, I'm speechless. One wonders what calibre firearm Senor Weinstein used to shoot himself in the foot...

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Harvey Scissorhands is obviously Harvey Crackpipe as well.

6. Matthew Brown

Sorry to quote myself, but since I am really curious what some of these directors think, I have e-mailed a few reporters to ask them to contact some of these directors to see what they have to say about their work being called sh*t.

Maybe MSNBC will be mentioning this soon. Their entertainment columnist loved the idea.

Matt

7. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

What a schmuck.

8. Jeff Kleist

Actually, most of these directors now are contractually obligated to keep their yaps shut because Disney is financing a ton of movies (including Shaolin Soccer 2) so unless they want to have their financing cut upp they need to shut their yaps

The last person I have left is John Woo, all that had US reps refused comment, including Jet Li, Donnie Yen, and Jackie Chan

9. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

This is why Miramax gets my vote for worst studio of the year for theatrical and DVD releases and will continue to every year and till this practice changes.

10. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

This practice will almost defenitely not change as long as Harvey Weinstein is in charge of Miramax and they purchase these films. He is widely noted as one of the most bulleying, pig-headed people in the business. His temper tantrums are notorius.
    Here is a good article to read:
    CNN.com article about Harvey Weinstein

11. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
  12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

sounds like a classic case of the "hollywood ego trip"?

of course, if i ran a major studio...i suppose the pressures, ego and fame may affect me somewhat...

13. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Man. That sucks. Can some other studio besides Miramax, Tai Seng, and Disney pick up Asian movies for distro in the US please??!!

14. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

.............actually, Tai Seng is getting a little better.

15. Matthew Brown

Jeff -
    I am counting on Woo being the one to say something. There is a large pool of talent affected by this so hopefully somebody will speak out if he doesn't. Of course, there could be reasons for Woo's silence but I don't think it will be because he was bought by Disney. :wink:

Phu -
    Miramax has the money to buy whatever they want. They outbid everybody for titles and either sit on them or alter them for release.

Matt

16. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

The New Yorker has an extensive article on Harvey this week. It talks about his cutting of films too.

Although, a lot of critics agree with some of his cuts, for example CINEMA PARADISO. The longer, non Harvey cut director's cut, released this summer did very poorly with audiences and critics.

17. Jeff Kleist

For example, Miramax will probably sit on Mamoru Oshii's Avalon for all eternity. 90% of Miramax employees I talk to aren't even aware they own the film.

They thought they were buying some action flick like the Matrix, and instead got a cerebral study that they could never cut enough to reach their target idiocy range. So they'll just sit on it for all eternity so others can't have it.

*hugs lovely Japanese disc*

18. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

19. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

20. Jeff Kleist

Turns out I was wrong. I was announced today that Avalon will be going direct to cable. My guess would be Sci-Fi or Showtime, probably *spit* horribly dubbed