Miramax And DreamWorks Go Head To Head, Again

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin Pereyra, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Two films are slated to open on July 12. One is from Miramax. The other from DreamWorks.
    Both are being test-screened and fine-tuned. One film already had rave reviews hitting the Internet after last week’s New Jersey test screening. Both present vengeance stories set against a backdrop of gangland violence. Both are already shaping up as Oscar heavyweights. Both are period spectacles with major stars and acclaimed directors – Tom Hanks and Sam Mendes, the other - Daniel Day-Lewis, Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese.
    The two films are DreamWorks’ Road To Perdition and Miramax’s Gangs Of New York.
    From Miramax: “This is our big Oscar picture for 2002”.
    DreamWorks: “Bring it on”.
    The battle is heating up.
    Source: Variety
    ~Edwin

2. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

If I had to choose only one, it would be Scorsese's movie. I'm really anxious to see if DiCaprio will give a great performance like so many actors who work with Scorsese.

I know that Gangs of New York was pushed back from a Christmas 2001 release. Was it to go head-to-head with Road To Perdition?

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Edwin, a friend of ours (you and me) told me that his friend saw a screening on Gangs and said Lewis eats up the screen. Best actor run for him maybe? Could be.

Funny these 2 Oscar formula studio's would go with summer release contenders. Maybe these are the "rabbits", the guys who go out ahead of the pack to see what happens. You have to think that both studios will also be sitting on key films to push through come December in case the summer films don't have buzz going at that point.

4. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

5. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

6. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Yeah, my friend went to the screening here in Jersey. In attendance were the Weinstein Bros, Scorsese, and maybe a couple of the actors.
    He reported that it was OK, typical Scorsese, however Danel Day Lewis steals the film. It was violent, DiCaprio was fine, and it ran over three hours long.
    Now this friend of mine is also a screenwriter and usually hates most of what he sees, so I take his lukewarm assessment of Gangs Of New York as a sign that it's probably going to be very good. I'll be seeig this friend tomorrow and will ask him for more details and post them here.

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I doubt Gangs will get forgotten ala Memento because it's a much bigger film. Scorsese + DiCaprio = a much bigger draw than Nolan + Pierce. If I had my way it wouldn't be that way...but it's reality.

8. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Well it appears that the two films in question will not go head to head as previously scheduled. USA Today now reports that Gangs of New York will now open on Christmas day.

~Edwin

9. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    True Edwin. If what the similar NY Times article says is true (and who knows anymore), Weinstein is not thrilled with everything he is getting regarding GoNY. But ticking off Scorcese is not the way to win young talent or the old guard. Methinks he should let the director direct, and just sign the checks.
    Take care,
    Chuck
    P.S. I might say something else if it was MY money, though [​IMG] But not to Scorcese!

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

This makes me very mad. I was looking forward to seeing Gangs of New York last christmas a year ago. Now theres another wait. There are also several potential good films coming out around Christmas including Benigni's Pinnochio and some unknown film called The Two Towers. I think Daniel Day Lewis will certainly get an oscar nomination for his performance. In the trailer, it looked like a role De Niro could have nailed as well.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Well, it does seem a bit odd to open any "big oscar picture" in the middle of the summer, but it also seems a bit strange to open it in December with Harry Potter, TTT, and probably a Disney/Pixar release sucking up the audience. Perhaps it'll be an "eligibility" release, with a wide release in January?

13. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Malcolm, a platform release like you said would probably be more likely. But, come to think of it, the film has already been delayed a year so there is really no reason to do such a release unless it really gets crowded come Christmas time. Right now by establishing a Christmas release, it gets first dibs at this usually crowded holiday period.

I see the next Potter film and Disney's usual holiday films opening in early-mid November.

~Edwin