Mirage speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Steve Matulich, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Steve Matulich

My HTS consists of the Mirage FRx9s, FRx1s, FRxC, an Aaron sub240 (2x10inch sub) & the Denon 1603 receiver.

My question concerns the FRxC - does anyone else out there have this speaker matched to the FRx9?

I have read on a few other websites that the OM-C3 centre speaker is a better match even though it's not 'timber matched'.

The FRx9 is very powerful & the FRxC doesn't seem to give enough output when watching DVDs when matched to the FRx9.

If you have Mirage FRx9 speakers in your HTS could you tell me if upgrading to the OM-C3 from the FRxC is a good idea?

Cheers.

Regards,

Steve.

PS: I appreciate the Denon 1603 is a tad weak for my system but I will be upgrading to something more powerful in the future.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Also try the Mirage site. I believe there's a question and answer forum there that Mirage supports (and posts on).

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I wanted to post this in a Mirage thread. This one is titled generically enough!

After having owned Def Tech (very good bipolars), then Vandersteen (very good direct radiators), and now Mirage (very good omnipolars), I firmly believe that if more people would leave behind the preconception that bipolars/omnipolars image worse than direct radiators, but do increase spaciousness, that more people would try them out and end up with them. I personally firmly believe that bipolars and omnipolars image just as well as direct radiators (placement *can* take a while to nail down just right), but that then the spaciousness is *added*.

OK. So every now and then I come across an interesting speaker that sort of affirms just that.

March Stereophile. The Triangle Magellan Concerto (or something). Very similar design to the OM-7's. (No powered sub like the OM-5's.) Tweeters front and back, midranges front and back, and woofer in front. Made in France. $20,000 per pair.

Just sort of supports that it is *not* crazy to put drivers on the front *and* back of a speaker. [​IMG]

4. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

If you are interested in the Om-C3, I have one for sale at the moment. As far as using them with the frx9, I too have heard from a couple of posts on the mirage messageboard that the om-c3 matched the frx series better than the frx center, something about the PTH tweeter achieving a nice tonal balance. This was even from the moderator. The only downside to you getting the om-c3 is that after you get that, you will have the upgrade bug and then would want to get matching fronts, yada yada. be careful [​IMG]

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

One more item. Audio Advisor has some great deals on OM Mirage speakers right now.

6. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i had a mirage frx-7, frx-c, frx-r, and frx-s8 sub as a home theater at one time. the only speakers remaining out of those are the frx-r. i never had any issue with timbre matching between the frx-c and frx-7 speakers.

kevin t

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Another accidental one I found today: Von Schweikert, the VR-2 and VR-3.5 floorstanders (at least) have an "Ambience Retrieval System". A fancy name for a ... rear-firing tweeter/midrange driver used to add "space" to the speaker's presentation. [​IMG] And Vandersteen Models 5 and 5A have a rear-firing tweeter "that can be adjusted to tailor the Model Five's treble response to different rooms or listener preferences." Pricing is $11400 to $15000 a pair.

8. Calvin S

Calvin S Agent

Give me about a week. I currently have the FRX-7, FRX-C, and FRX-R speakers, and just ordered the OM-C3 from a local Tweeter (wish I saw that audio advisor price before I did that). My main two reasons for the upgrade was wanting a better center, and the desire to go 6.1 (I'm moving the FRX-C to be a rear center). Anyway, I'll try to post back to this thread once I've got it up and running as to whether the upgrade seemed worth it.