What's new

Mirage Speakers and Sub (opinions wanted) (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm looking at going from my B&W 602 S2's to a Mirage setup. If I decide to go with Mirage I would be getting the Omni-260's as my Mains, an Omni-CC as my Center and the Omni-R2's for the 3 rears. I would also get the Omni-200 as my Sub. I've only listened to them once and I was pretty impressed. I plan on going back with a few DVD's and giving them a proper run through before I decide.

Anyone with speakers in this price range please give me your thoughts.

Thanks!

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
Micheal,
Mirage builds a good speaker for the money. I have a pair of OM-10's (the original "low end" of the OM line which basiclly places them as the next notch above the 260's) and love them to death.

Mirage's Omnipolar speakers will hold their own in sound reproduction with any other speaker of a comparable price point and with many far above.

The thing that sets Mirage Omnipolars apart is the unique soundstage they produce. Most people either love them or hate. Either way, it's very different from what you'll hear with direct radiating speakers.

If you like the Omnipolar sound though, you won't go wrong buying Mirages.

paulBAW

Stunt Coordinator
I remember first listening to a home theater system back around 1987 at my uncle's house. At the time he was using Mirage M-3's with a Pioneer Projection TV. I was watched Apocalypse Now. Those Mirage M3's were the starting point for me. I started getting more and more interested in stereo's and hi-fi gear from that point onward. The M3's were huge highgloss black speakers, they looked like they could have been from the show Dr. Who. The sound was warm and filling. I don't even think he was using a sub at the time. The speakers just made the entire basement shake and rotate whenever Choppers appeared in the movie.

I bought a couple of PSB Alphas a couple years later, then upgraded to some PSB 400's during my first year of collage 5yrs later. I always said to myself that one day I'd buy a set of mirages. That day still hasn't happened for me. Two things don't work. 1. I don't have the room for the OM series of speakers, they need alot of breathing room. My uncle went from the Mirage M-3's to an all Totem system, then back to Mirage opting for OM-7's. They need to be well away from the wall in order to develop a great sound stage. I don't have that kinda room. 2. My ears are changing, or my tastes are at least. I use to love the fact you could hear the music, movies from all around. They make poor recordings sound good, and amazing recordings sound good. My tastes are much more dynamic now and I don't want the speakers to sugar coat anything. If a recording should sound terrible so be it, if it is amazing then they should sound amazing.

I would never doubt the actual company though. They are very creative in their approach. Their products are well built. And if nothing else look "cool". Adam is right though, you'll either love the speakers or hate them. They do give most recordings a warm airy makeover, that sounds live. And with the right setup and speaker placement they can give you a type of sound no other speaker could.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Thanks guys! I'll definitely have to give them a closer listen.

I use to love the fact you could hear the music, movies from all around. They make poor recordings sound good, and amazing recordings sound good. My tastes are much more dynamic now and I don't want the speakers to sugar coat anything. If a recording should sound terrible so be it, if it is amazing then they should sound amazing.
I hope that an amazing recording still sounds amazing, not good. Are you saying that they take a bit away from better recordings?

Keep the opinions coming...

paulBAW

Stunt Coordinator
Yah, they took amazing recordings and made them sound good. Where the Totems were totally different speakers. They were VERY picky when it came to the recording. If it was brilliant they allowed you to hear it. Very accurate. If it was sub par they also allowed you to hear every inperfection. The Mirage were totally different. They have the unique ability to make bad things sound not so bad anymore. But by the same token, can take an amazing recording and while it still sounds great, it isn't as accurate as some other speakers on the market. This is what I noticed, and what he eventually noticed. He eventually sold the Totem HT setup he had, and replaced them with all Mirage, using an Anthem pre-pro (with upgrade kit) using an EAD amp, then later a Blue Circle. He thought the Totems were a great music speaker but far too accurate for home theater use. He uses Totems on his B stereo system now.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Interesting..., thanks Paul.

I wonder how the Mirage speakers that I'm looking at will sound with the NAD T762 Receiver that I might buy? I'll have to give them a good test soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks