Mirage Omnisat heard them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil_DC, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Phil_DC

Phil_DC Stunt Coordinator

2. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

They are pretty nice considering their price point. At first I dismissed them as a gimmicky, dumbed-down Home Theater in a Box type product. But after hearing them at Tweeter, I would say that they would be a great choice for anyone looking for a low priced, compact, sattelite setup. Give them a listen.

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I was very impressed with them too. I was at Tweeter looking at RPTV's. As I was walking out of the room I took a look at the surrounds and saw the Omnipolars. I decided to see what was running up front and it was the same speakers. They could definitely fill the needs of someone without a lot of space but wanting a nice sound.

Dan

5. John Dunlap

Charles,

Great point. These speakers are obviously intended to be "BOSE-killers" !!

6. Andrew JC

Andrew JC Stunt Coordinator

John, How much do they cost? Thanks...andy

7. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Anyone know if I can buy just two of the little speakers? I'm looking for small, non-Bose speakers that I can mount on a drop ceiling for side-surrounds in between my mains and my rears. Plus, I've got a full set of Mirage speakers anyway, so if I can buy just two of these, I can keep it all in the family.

8. Larry Carlson

I picked the Omnisats about a week ago and I love them. I recently got a pair of Mirage OM-5s and I decided to finally get a matched system instead of the hodge-podge mixture of different speakers thatI've always had. So I went looking at Mirage-brand surrounds and found these. Now, my room is 27x14, but my seating is toward the back of the room. Because the surround speakers are so close to my ears, I've always been able to hear that the sound is coming right from each speaker. The Omnisats are a different ball game. The sound envelops me and the sound is not localizable. THIS is the way it should be. The sound is very high quality and the speakers occupy very little space. I am extremely pleased with them and would recommend them. Only drawback is that there is very little bass below about 100hz. I knew this from their spec sheet going in and the tradeoff is well worth it,in my opinion, to get the kind of real surround sound that these provide. But I may have to look into a small sub for the rears anyway. Again, there is no gimmickry or trickiness to the sound. It's just real good sound that is spread out over the rear of the room in manner that surrounds one. They replaced Definative Technology BPXs. Highly recommended.

9. John Dunlap

Price I saw at Tweeter was $249. Not 100% sure if that was per pair or per speaker.

10. Larry Carlson

They are $250 per speaker. And worth it.

11. Han

Han Second Unit

That is quite a bargain! So how well do they match sonically to the OM series speakers?

12. Larry Carlson

They match pretty good. The Mirage website says they are voice matched to the OM series and they sound pretty close to me. Obviously being in a different location in the room makes a difference in the sound, but as far as I can tell they are the same. Does the match in timbre make the surround effects better? Yes, based on limited testing ( I just got them), I would say so. But there is also the psychological "I just spent money on something so therefore it must sound/look better" factor. Based on initial listening, I'm very pleased with the soundstage they present and the quality of sound I hear. No gimmicky sound here to achieve the soundfield that fills the whole back of my room. I'm very pleased with these.

13. Han

Han Second Unit

Larry,
    Thanks for the opinions on the voice matching. I'd have to say though, unlike you, my mentality after purchase is more, "I just spent money on something, so therefore it better sound/perform better." Meaning, I sometimes psyche myself out and get really picky the first couple of days. That's what a break-in period is for on HT equipment, I guess.[​IMG]

14. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Stunt Coordinator

I recently got rid of the hodge podge too and had a chance to listen to the OmniSats in the process. They sound very nice considering the size. Styling is well, a matter of taste but I like them fairly well. Sound is more defined than what i'm used to from Mirage. Highs are crisp and clear and the mid bass is there but not overly powerful. I think they would make excellent surrounds in a larger system.

15. bently

bently Extra

i have a cathedral ceiling in my 25'X 15'living room, Will the omnisat still work for me?

thanks
    bently

16. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Just in case you guys don't know, Mirage expanded the Omni series speakers to include bookshelf, floorstanding, and center-channel models.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the story .

17. bently

bently Extra

WOW! this new omni speaker rocks!
    and the prices are very reasonable:

18. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Read the "pocket Martin Logan " thread.....

19. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I'm a big Mirage fan owning all Mirage speakers(OM-10. MC-2, OM-R2 and BPS150i) but have yet to hear the Omnisats. I think the company has a real winner here and with each passing year I become a little more impressed with their products and ideas (except for the substrata subwoofers. Anybody notice these were quietly discontinued? Its come to my understanding that Mirage is getting sued by none other than Bob Carver and Sunfire Corporation, but the details I'm not sure of).

I'll have to go give these Omnisats listen. I didn't realize that they were expanding the line to floor standing speakers using the Omnisat principal. A Mirage rep will be coming to my local dealer soon and it will be a must see event.

Bose killer? Now THAT would be nice.

20. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Michael, we seem to have similiar set-ups, only insted of the 150 I AM using an SS1500 sub (very pleased with it ,though I have a dyi in this set-up as well)and I also have a pair of M490's as rear surrounds too.....
    I have heard a couple of the omni's in their new bookshelf and floor incarnations ,and while they were not broken in , I was still very impressed...as with all their speakers, the placement flexibility will be a great benifit to some..
    Same PTH tweeter that impressed me 7 or 8(?) years ago...