What's new

Mirage OM7s (1 Viewer)

Jeff_PxR

Stunt Coordinator
ANyone have any experience with these? I am considering buying them, the OMC2 center, and Mirage omnisats for rear. Thanks.:D

Christopher~O

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, I can't comment on these specific models, but my experience with other Mirage models (see sig if you are interested in specifics) has been nothing but good. I've had my towers for 8 years and they just keep sounding better! The centre channel I just got is nothing short of amazing. They even managed to do wonderful things with the tiny speakers I am running around back.

Cheers,
Chris

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
I just replied to your post about the Yamaha receiver. I figured you bought the Mirages already. Since you haven't, I'll chime in here too.

Mirage's Omnipolar speakers have a very unique sound. They do not necessarily sound any worse or better than direct radiating speakers, just different. Reactions seem to be either hot or cold towards them. Either you love them or hate them. I'll assume since you're considering spending that kind of money on 7's that you've already auditioned them and like the Omnipolar sound.

I think you'll find that Mirage makes a VERY high quality speaker for the money. I've had my OM-10's for 3 years now and have yet to hear anything in their price range compete with them for how smooth and clean they sound.

My current setup is composed of OM-10's, an OM-C3 center, and OM-R2 rears. Like Christopher's Mirages, mine just keep sounding better and better too. Course upgrading to a new $1500 receiver recently didn't hurt either. :wink:

As a testament to my satisfaction, I will definately be going back to Mirage when I upgrade again. My next purchase will be a C2 for a new front and my C3 is going to become my rear center for real 6.1.

Craig_O

Agent
Jeff,
I have been auditioning the OM-7's myself. I've also listened to the om-9's which are the next step down. I spent about an hour at my local dealer this past weekend listening between the two and I found very little difference between them for home theatre. The salesman advised the only difference he could tell is when it came to music in which the om-7s went a little lower as they have an 8inch woofer. I suggest trying them both out but you can't go wrong with either one. I also asked about purchasing the floor models for a lower price and the salesman advised he would make the same deal on a new set as with the floor models. He quoted me $1,700 for the om-7's which is $300 below sticker price. Hope this helps.

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Jeff. I have the OM-7's in my setup. After 2 years, I finally got a CD player and couldn't be happier with the sound for HT and for music. I'm using a Yamaha RX-V1000 reciever. Someday I'll probably switch to separates. I have the OM-C3 center channel, so if you were to go with the C2, I'm sure you'd love it! I wish I had bought the C2 instead. I have no complains about the C3, it's a great center. I can't rave enough about the customer service of Mirage. Of all companies I've ever dealt with, Mirage is leading the way and are a great example of what customer service is all about. I needed threaded rods for the brass feet. Two years after purchasing my speakers, they sent them to me free of charge, along with extra carpet spikes and rubber feet. One of the rods wasn't threaded to the end, and so, it was unusable. I emailed Mirages, and I had another one within a week.

For me, these speakers fit the bill for a decent price (I had $800 knocked off the sticker price). They sound great for music and great for DVD. I'm also using the Mirage FRx-10 sub. Someday I'll have an SVS :)

Enjoy your speakers. I don't think enough people give Mirage a fair chance. Not many people around here talk about them. Check out my homepage to look at my setup.

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
I wish I had bought the C2 instead.
Dave,
I feel exactly the same way. My plans are in the very near future to move my C3 to the rear center so I have an excuse to get a C2 for up front. It's just a thought.

Also, in response to Craig O:
I think you summed up the differences between the 7'a and 9's exactly. The main advantage to the 7's is if you intend to listen to music in 2 channel without a sub (something my Yamaha doesn't seem to want to do without changing it's setup?) or if you want the mains to handle or at least help with LFE. In all cases though, this means you're looking at needing a beefier receiver to take advantage of the 7's over the 9's too.

Kirk Mango

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I have the OM5's from Mirage coupled with the OMC2 center and 4 OMR'2's for surrounds. I am in love with these speakers. Everything is powered by B&K seperates. The soundstage of the omnipolar design is massive. Great for both HT and Music. Very realistic presentation. I cannot recomend them enough. Auditioned Paridign, and M&K and fell in love with the Mirage. OM7 is a great choice.

Kirk

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
I apparently don't pay enough attention or skim too fast sometimes. I just noticed you mention Omnisats for surrounds.

First, let me say that you'll find the OM-R2's to be a better match for those 7's overall (albeit I beleive at a little higher price tag).

Second, let me mention that there will be some placement differences. The Omnisats I would imagine are meant to be out from the wall some distance like other Omnipolar mains. I'm not sure what Mirage reccomends for the distance as I have not had a chance to browse a manual for any of the Mirages with the "other" Omnipolar arrangement. If you intend to have them at the ends of your couch on stands or something similar, this won't be a problem. But this could affect their imaging if you intend to stick them smack up against a wall like most people do with the surrounds. The R2's on the other hand are made specifically to maintain "half" of an Omnipolar radiating pattern so they can be mounted on side or rear walls.

It's just some things to look into and be aware of. I don't know how much of my concern about placement is founded and how much is thinking too hard about it. :)

Jeff_PxR

Stunt Coordinator
I have a HK 525--hope that works well.

Thanks for the advice guys---they come tonight so I am psyched!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks