Mirage om7 or def.tech. power towers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ricky c, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

I was all set to get the mirage om7's but now am debating them against the def.tech. 2006tl.How do these speakers compare to each other and which one would be the better speaker.I realize there is a price difference between the two but i'm not concerned with that right now.Hopefully i'll hear from people who have either owned these speakers or at least compared them.No dealers in my area carry both.Please help.

2. steve paul

steve paul Stunt Coordinator

id go with Mirage. I just sold my def Tech 2000's and BP 30's. I was running with a Denon 5800 and I just did not like the sound. I lived with them for a month and just today bought me some Monitor Audio referencegold 20's, 10's and center - WOW, what a big difference. I also heard the Mirage setup and thought it beat out the def techs. The def techs are big, loud but not so detailed - mine sounded "muddy" and muffled. They do play loud and sounded way better for HT than they did for music and the mirage sounds great with both.

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

If you have found the DT's to be "muddy" or not detailed, then there is almost certainly something wrong with your setup. The bp's do need some space to breathe all around...I believe that the PowerMonitors could work better in smaller rooms. Also, matching of associated equipment is important...amplification, cdplayer, cables are all very important.

Ricky, look at my DT setup guide in the archives to get an idea on how best to set up these bp speakers...match them with something like a Yamaha and you should be very happy. Good luck!

4. Terrell

Terrell Producer

My brother's Def Tech's are extremely detailed. I've neverr heard these speakers as not being detailed. Def Techs remain detailed even at ridiculous volume levels. As for what should you buy.........whatever sound best to you after careful auditions.

5. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

I guess i should of stated this before but i will be powering with a Marantz sr7000.

6. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

I'll have to agree that they have to carefully setup to reveal the great sound they do have. Detail is strongpoint of theirs IMO. I like Mirage as well however and they are both very much alike. Toss up..

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I prefer the tonal qualities of the Mirage over the Def Techs. However, that said, I also prefer the sound of the non-powered versions of both speaker groups over the ones with onboard powered subwoofers. Both of these bipolar/omnipolar speakers need to be set up carefully and away from the back wall so you need a room set-up to accomodate this speaker spacing in the front of your room. Regardless, of our opinions, YOU need to hear these speakers for yourself.