What's new

Mirage OM5 & OM-C2 - To Sub or NOT.!!!! (1 Viewer)

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,
I got my Mirage OM5 and OM-C2 and soon will be getting the OM-R2 to round out my speaker system... I need advice on whether or NOT to add a subwoofer???
I was told by one person that I do NOT need a subwoofer at all as the OM-5 with the BUILT in subs are more than adequate...
and another person told me that although I don't need a SUB for 2 channel stereo, I still need a SUB for LFE signal for watching/listneing to 5.1 or 6.1 Dolby Digital and DTS...?
If so will my current Audio Source 12" powered sub be adequate or will I need to pick up a new matching Mirage Sub?
thanks,
-Alex

Thomas Reagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
It depends on your room size, but it's always good to have the extra bass available (you can always turn it down).
I have a pair of Mirage 3si's which put out plenty of bass. I have a sub in addition as well, though it doesn't usually get used unless I'm watching 5.1 movies with bass below 60hz.
Thos.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
It'a almost always best to use a seperate dedicated subwoofer. *powered towers* are usually limited by sheer output capabilities

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
I have a similar setup except i have the OM6s. I definitaely recommend adding a sub. I added a pair of SVS 20-39 a year ago and couldnt be happier.

Hubert

Second Unit
I have Def Tech BP3000TLs and I use a seperate sub. I use the Velodyne HGS-18. I run my BP3000s down to 30Hz and run everything below that and LFE to the Velodyne. Yes, use an external sub.
[Edited last by Hubert on October 10, 2001 at 04:55 PM]

StephenMSmith

Stunt Coordinator
I have the OM-6's, OM-C2, and OM-R2's, plus Mirage's Substrata 1000. It's a small sub but I have a small room, but it can still output a little more bass the the subs built-in to the OM-6's. Plus is takes a bit of the load off them. The OM-5's have a bigger sub in them I think so you would need a bigger sub than the 1000.
At a minimum, you would want a sub to supplement the OM-C2 and especially OM-R2's. I did spend some time w/the sub handling the low end for just the center and rears plus LFE, but eventually found better overall integration w/it handling the low end for all speakers.
Steve

JoshS

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Alex,
The Mirage system is an excellent package, congrats. As far as a sub goes, I would definitely look into the mirage bps 400. I have had one for about 6 months now and couldn't be happier. I don't want to step on SVS's toes though, from the reviews on this site the SVS subs are a hard value to beat at any price. I do not have any experience with them though so I can't give a solid recommendation. If you're going to stay with Mirage I would look into the bps400. Good luck.
This stuff's fun
Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks