Mirage OM vs PSB Image

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed Teng, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Ed Teng

Ed Teng Extra

I have a pair of Mirage M7si front and plan to get a new set of center and surround to go with Marantz SR7300 AV Receiver.

I am looking at two choices: Mirage OMC-3 with OMR-2R or PSB Image 9C with 10S.

Any one has tried both and any recommendations around this price range?

2. TerryHenson

TerryHenson Agent

If you're happy with your main speakers, I highly recommend you timber match your center to your mains and this usually is easiest when buying the same brand/model. I also recommend you buy the best matching center channel you can afford. The surrounds are generally less critical, but again, matching them sonically would be suggested.

3. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Hi Ed, I have used PSB fo awhile now and think they are some of the best speakers around. I also have demo'd Mirage in my home an also like those. But my main theatre setup consists of Image 6'ts, Image 9c, Image 10's for the surrounds and Stratus Mini's for rears. As Terry stated, if you are happy with your M7si's then definately try to match your center speaker with the same model line. Try to pick up the Mirage Mcsi center channel. It will match your towers. Your front soundstage is the most critical part of your sound system and you want to have everything up there sound the same. The surrounds are not as big of a deal but I would still try to match them with your same speaker line. The ideal system would be to have 5 of the exact same speakers for your whole system but that is not very practical.

4. Ed Teng

Ed Teng Extra

Hi Jeff and Terry,

Thanks for your advice. I guess I got my answers - will go for the OMC-3. Reason I asked for comparison between PSB IMage and Mirage was because I read very good review about the Image in the Perfect Vision and both of them are around the same price range but have not read much about the OMC-3. BTW, the Mirage MCsi center is already obsolete. Can't find them in Hong Kong now - I work here.

Jeff, since you've tried both the OMC-3 and Image 9C, which do you think gives better vocal presentation and is more transparent and musical?