What's new

Mirage OM-9's and OMNI CB (1 Viewer)

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
same here, didn't want to pay so much for rear surrounds, so i got these at a great price from ecost, $63 shipped for a pair in white. They are Wharfedale WH-2's, I bought 2 pairs for sides and surrounds

Lee M T

Second Unit
Thanks for all the nice discussions going on in here.

Those OM-9's in black are 50% off now this week. So I may go that route. I have all black Omni stuff, so it'll look a bit better. I should have a final decision on Friday. I will go listen to the OM-9's one more time.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Muhammed- OM-9's vs Omni 60's is like comparing apples to oranges. :)

My bud who has a 5.1 system with the 7's and the OM-C2 up front with Omni 60's in back, sometimes thinks about swapping the 60's in the back for 9's. I had a Def Tech setup with floorstanding bipolars in the back. Since the tweeters were at ear level, I just found them too distracting for movies. I suggested to my friend, that if he gets the OM-9's for the back, to put them up on milk crates or something to get them off the floor. (I have my Omni 60 tweeters at 18" above ear level. Works well.)

As far as main speakers, I think I'd prefer the more laid back flavor of the 9's and their extended bass response. But I think the 60's make better surround/rear speakers.

Muhammed

Agent
I've had the Omni 60s for about a year, after deciding to replace a pair of FRx-5s (as the name implies, they were front radiating). I liked the OmniPolar sound, but the Omni 60s up front sounded a little too sharp for me. Even though the woofer was 6.5", and I have a sub, it felt like I was missing something in the midrange. I actually think the Omni 60s were more accurate than anything else I've had, and i'm just used to warmer speakers.

I agree that the OM-9s seem more laid back, and for me up front, the 9s give me a much warmer sound that I love when listening to music :)

Lee M T

Second Unit
I just picked up the black OM-9's tonight for $757 with tax! Sweet deal. I've been running pink noise through them all night. I'll keep that going until tomorrow morning when I wake up. Then I'll just play some casual music for a while.

I really enjoyed listening to the 9's at Tweeter today. I was comparing them to the closest pair of Polk's they had their. Not sure the model number, but they were $1,400 a pair (regular) vs. $1,300 a pair (regular) for the OM-9's. I thought the Mirage's had much more weight to them. More bass extension and I thought the 9's sounded more detailed in the upper ranges. But it wasn't really critical listening per se.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I have owned Mirage OM 5's combined with the OM-C2 center and two pairs of OM-R2's surrounds since about June 02. These by far have been my best speakers within our main ht, I have owned many brands/models for comparison, yet these Mirage’s still find a home here, these OM’s have been the only speaker to reside in our home this long without being replaced. The Mirage OM line sounds very well balanced with two/multi channel audio as well.
I also echo Kevin's words, Congrats on the nice find. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lee M T

Second Unit
Thanks for all the help again guys! I'll try to post impressions as soon as I can.

By the way, even though I've had my Omni center channel too long, the guy at Tweeter said he may still be able to let me upgrade it to the OM-C2 and just pay the difference. I'll be in hog heaven if we can do that. I'll have to wait till after Xmas to see if I have any money though. hehe

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
My dad just got a set of the Mirage OM9's today at this incredible price at Tweeter.

I'm looking forward to getting over their and listening to them!

Lee M T

Second Unit
I assure you the OM-9's sound as great as they look Mr. Tomlin. I hope you and your dad enjoy them as much as I am. I'm only about a week into any real critical listening and I am so pleased! I thought going from a bookshelf to a tower wouldn't change much in the surround sound department, but there was a substantial difference! Two channel lsitening is easily much better now as well. But that should be a given in most scenarios.

Muhammed

Agent
Glad to hear you like the OM-9s Lee. I'm thoroughly enjoying them, and i'm still amazed by them. I went from floorstanders (FRx-5s) to bookshelves (Omni 60s)to get the omnipolar sound, and even though I loved the wide-soundstage, it always sounded like something was missing. The OM-9s sound richer and fuller, they also seem to be a bit more mellow than the Omni 60s which makes it easier to listen to the 9s for longer periods of time.

If anyone's on the fence about getting these, i'd suggest taking the plunge. You really can't beat the price (I was eyeing the 9s for over a year, but couldn't justify $1300 since I already had a decent setup, but at $700 it's a no-brainer). The build quality is pretty good, and to me they have a much richer classier look than other speakers in the price range. Especially with the high gloss finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks