Mirage OM-5 and OM-7s

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brian*W, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Brian*W

Brian*W Auditioning

Hi. I am considering investing in a nice big set of speakers. I was very impressed with a friend's Mirage M1 bipole speakers- the sound is something I really like, with the open sound stage, quick response yet smooth sound.

Does anyone have any input for either of these two? I'm thinking with my room size, a set of OM-7s are more than enough, but would the OM-5s be better sounding?

Also, as of right now I only have a Denon 3803 receiver/amp. Would it be a waste to power these speakers with the 3803? Do I need a nice dedicated amp?

THanks for your input!

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have the OM-7's. My personal opinion is that an external sub has more flexibility than integrated subs. (I.e., the best place for producing low frequencies in a room is *not* typically where the main speakers go.)

As far as sound quality, I think that the designs are the same, except for the low freq extension of the 5's. The OM-9's are a different beast though.

You could start with the Denon, and then decide later on if you want to add a 2 channel amp to free up the Denon for just the center and surrounds(/rears). I have a friend with an Onkyo 989 ver 2 with OM-7's, and someday he'll get a separate amp too. He's just trying to decide which one. [​IMG]

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have the OM-7's. My personal opinion is that an external sub has more flexibility than integrated subs. (I.e., the best place for producing low frequencies in a room is *not* typically where the main speakers go.)

As far as sound quality, I think that the designs are the same, except for the low freq extension of the 5's. The OM-9's are a different beast though.

You could start with the Denon, and then decide later on if you want to add a 2 channel amp to free up the Denon for just the center and surrounds(/rears). I have a friend with an Onkyo 989 ver 2 with OM-7's, and someday he'll get a separate amp too. He's just trying to decide which one. [​IMG]

4. Brian*W

Brian*W Auditioning

I have a SVS 25-31PCi already, so I am assuming that the lower extension of the OM-5 over the 7 would not be worth the (substantially) extra cost?

I'm pretty sure I'd do a separate amp for the speakers someday, but not now because these speakers do cost a bundle and it's all I have for now. how much of an improvement would it be going from driving the OM-7s through the 3803 to a decent monoblock or tube amp?

5. Brian*W

Brian*W Auditioning

I have a SVS 25-31PCi already, so I am assuming that the lower extension of the OM-5 over the 7 would not be worth the (substantially) extra cost?

I'm pretty sure I'd do a separate amp for the speakers someday, but not now because these speakers do cost a bundle and it's all I have for now. how much of an improvement would it be going from driving the OM-7s through the 3803 to a decent monoblock or tube amp?

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Bingo! [​IMG]

I can't comment on the next one, because I have only driven my OM-7's with Acurus, then Bryston, and now Proceed amplification. Probably the biggest thing you'll hear with a separate amp is just plain more dynamics due to more power.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Bingo! [​IMG]

I can't comment on the next one, because I have only driven my OM-7's with Acurus, then Bryston, and now Proceed amplification. Probably the biggest thing you'll hear with a separate amp is just plain more dynamics due to more power.

8. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Those OM-7's are some amazing speakers! Especially for watching movies, I think they are hard to beat in their price range, they really fill the room. I think you'll be fine for the time being with you 3803. I've hear them demoed with a Marantz SR7400 and they sounded great. Coolest thing that I've noticed about the OM-7s is that when you do a direct A/B comparison between them and a traditional front firing speaker, is that it seems like someone just placed another set of speakers behind you. Or, you're hearing the sound out of the front half and back half your ears, instead of just the front half with traditional front firing speakers. Good luck!

9. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Those OM-7's are some amazing speakers! Especially for watching movies, I think they are hard to beat in their price range, they really fill the room. I think you'll be fine for the time being with you 3803. I've hear them demoed with a Marantz SR7400 and they sounded great. Coolest thing that I've noticed about the OM-7s is that when you do a direct A/B comparison between them and a traditional front firing speaker, is that it seems like someone just placed another set of speakers behind you. Or, you're hearing the sound out of the front half and back half your ears, instead of just the front half with traditional front firing speakers. Good luck!

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Quick story. Had Def Tech's for maybe 10 years. Like them a lot. "Wall of sound." But I had read a lot about Vandersteen's time aligned/phase coherent 2 CE Signatures. Gave them a try. Very excellent for 2 channel stereo. But like most people know, the sweet spot is very small. Move your head 6 inches in any direction, and the soundfield changes.

My home theater is in my family room, and it's adjacent and open to the kitchen. So I actually have 3 places where I listen to my system: sweet spot in the family room, at the kitchen island eating, and at my PC (!) which sort of straddles both rooms in the back. So I missed the big sweet spot of bipolars/omnipolars and went back. I think the OM-7's, a) give me better sound in more places, and, b) when watching a movie, give the other listeners better sound too. One final note, is that the OM-C2 is flat out the best center channel I've ever listened to. I had the CLR 2000 from Def Tech, and I liked that one. Then with the Vandersteen system, I actually had the VCC Signature. Didn't like it too much. Sounded too much like a box reproducing the input signal, rather than the signal itself. The OM-C2 is the most transparent of them all.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Quick story. Had Def Tech's for maybe 10 years. Like them a lot. "Wall of sound." But I had read a lot about Vandersteen's time aligned/phase coherent 2 CE Signatures. Gave them a try. Very excellent for 2 channel stereo. But like most people know, the sweet spot is very small. Move your head 6 inches in any direction, and the soundfield changes.

My home theater is in my family room, and it's adjacent and open to the kitchen. So I actually have 3 places where I listen to my system: sweet spot in the family room, at the kitchen island eating, and at my PC (!) which sort of straddles both rooms in the back. So I missed the big sweet spot of bipolars/omnipolars and went back. I think the OM-7's, a) give me better sound in more places, and, b) when watching a movie, give the other listeners better sound too. One final note, is that the OM-C2 is flat out the best center channel I've ever listened to. I had the CLR 2000 from Def Tech, and I liked that one. Then with the Vandersteen system, I actually had the VCC Signature. Didn't like it too much. Sounded too much like a box reproducing the input signal, rather than the signal itself. The OM-C2 is the most transparent of them all.