Mirage LF150 vs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveDev, Jul 27, 2002.

1. SteveDev

SteveDev Agent

Hello,

The wife apparently does not like the Mirage LF150 subwoofer (at least, she doesn't like the way it looks!). Two questions:

1. Since I have the Mirage FRx 7s, Rears, and OMC3 center, how important is it to match the sub to your the rest of your speakers? I can see the importance of matching centers, fronts, and rears, but not so much the sub.

2. What other subs are there in a comparable price range to the LF150 and in performance?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski Stunt Coordinator

What doesn't she like about it? Proabably the silver control knobs or maybe the oval grille. Hopefully she doesn't think it is too big since it is a fairly compact sub![​IMG]
    You are right on about matching the sub. Sub-bass is much less critical about voicing compared to the other speakers. It is definately far from a necessity but it seems like it would be nice to do since the rest of your stuff is Mirage and you like the LF150.
    This looks like the perfect opportunity to upgrade to the BPS-150i! It is a much more conventionally styled black box. Maybe that would make both of you happy![​IMG]
    Aaron

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yeah, or the BPS-400, although the 400 is a crazy huge box. It is all black with a nice piano gloss finish though, and its $600.00 USD the best deal you can get it for. No way you could sneak a 20-39 SVS into a corner?

4. SteveDev

SteveDev Agent

What is the price (in CDN) for the BPS-150?

What about other subs, e.g. Paradigm, B&W, M&K, etc ...

5. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Consider having your wife cover the sub with a decorative cloth that she likes, turning it into a stand of sorts. With some form of nonslip surface or Blu-Tack (to offset cabinet vibrations), she could even place a heavy-weight vase and flowers or something else on top. If the sub has a port, it might be a good idea to use an open-weave cloth that won't flap around too much during heavy bass passages.

6. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Mirage's OM200 due out in @ 3 weeks!!!

7. SteveDev

SteveDev Agent

Mat,

Is this sub going to replace their current BPS series?

Any ideas on the pricing for it?

Thanks.

8. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Steve, I have FRx-7 fronts, FRxC center, and Infinity inwalls. Back in January/February I was waiting and waiting for the Mirage LF150. It never came. I sent Tom V at SVS the specs from Jason Z at Mirage and he said that his 25-31 PCi would blow it out of the water on specs alone. I trusted him and I have been very pleased. I have only heard the LF150 at the dealer, so I really cannot compare. But my SVS sings with my set up. Good luck!

9. SteveDev

SteveDev Agent

Unfortunately I can get the LF-150 for CDN$525, tax in.

The sub you're recommending will cost me US$449 + tax + any related shipping charges which comes to over CDN$800! Not sure the extra $300 would be worth it!

10. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

SteveDev,
    From what I understand, the SVS' will come to about double what the US$ price lists. With exchange rate, brokerage fees, and shipping it would come to about $900 in Alberta, add any provincial tax to that figure to find out what you would actually pay.
    Pretty shitty isn't it?? [​IMG]

11. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Try taking the better half to some local Paradigm dealers and see if she likes the pw2200 or servo15.Both are very good performers,

TV

12. Aaron Smithski

I live in Montana and have nearly all of my relatives in either the Edmonton area or in British Columbia. My mother is from Canada, making me half-Canadian. I think I am allowed to bring into Canada when I visit something like $1000 worth of merchandise duty-free as long as I claim it is a gift...I think I smell a lucrative side business here.[​IMG]
    Aaron

13. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

I think he said that his wife was concerned about looks...

14. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Hey Aaron, I'm in!!

When's the next time you're heading up to Edmonton??

15. Aaron Smithski

Nick,
    Unfortunately I am leaving Thursday for B.C. and then Edmonton so I'm afraid there is not enough time to do anything.[​IMG]
    Well, after further investigation, it looks like Canadian Customs only allows up to $60 Canadian to be imported as a gift. Apparently things have changed in the last few years. I hauled up a new big-screen television for my grandfather in a UHaul 2 years ago and did not have to pay a cent in import duties. Not sure they would believe an SVS is only worth $60.[​IMG]
    Aaron

16. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Haha. Oh well, Paradigm PW-2200 it is. Or I might bite the bullet on the Servo-15.

17. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

So you can't find a Mirage BPS-400? They are going for $950.00 CAD if thats not over your limit.

18. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I'm not sure where I can find them in edmonton. My parents were in Toronto a few days ago but they never had time to check out Kennedy Hi-Fi or whoever is selling them for that cheap. Then you add provincial and federal tax to that amount and you're up pretty high. Around $1100?? And I still don't know about the bi-polar sub design, although I have yet to hear it.

I think I'm just gonna go with the PW-2200, and then upgrade from there when I see fit.

The best I've found so far for the PW-2200 is $850+tax. Anyone know where I can find it for cheaper in the edmonton area??

19. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>And I still don't know about the bi-polar sub design, although I have yet to hear it.

20. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

It is a "bi-polar" design, but that really only affects the cabinet vibration. Its like a boxer engine. each 12" woofer faces opposite the other and fires in and out in opposite directions so vibrations are canceled out. You can put your hand on the subfoower when its working and you won't feel much at all.

PW2200 is ok I guess. If you can find a Mirage store then just tell them you want a Mirage BPS-400 for $950.00 plus tax and offer to put down an $800.00 deposit and sign a receipt that says the price of the BPS-400 will be $950.00 plus tax, its worth it, believe me. Be firm and bug them for a day or too. If they don't go for it, then at least you tried. Its a big subwoofer, but it looks really really nice and sounds great. I much prefer the Mirage, Servo 15, the SVS 20-39 and PSB Stratus Sub 7's myself over the Paradigm PW-2200.