1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

mirage frx5 vs frx7 etc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Joy, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

My wonderful wife is about to have santa upgrade my speakers. I have taken both the tannoy mx3 and mirage frx5 home to sample. I have given a slight edge to the mirage for the extra base i need(don't have a sub). She has asked me since wether i would like the frx 5 or 7. i know the 7 is a three way speaker and sound slightly tighter than the 5. What would you reccomend? I have a sony str-de835(which i am planning to upgrade) a/v receiver, Direct tv with ac3, and a sony kv-355v65 monitor.

Secondly, the helpful sales rep at the store i am shoppping is reccomending a 6 channell upgrade for receiver. I will eventually get a dvd and will need the additional input/outputs my sony lacks. Probably loooking to spend $500-700.

Thanks

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i have the frx-7 and i really enjoy them. they have a decently wide soundstage and have good bass extension. of course for those low lows you will need a sub, but they give good impact to kick drums and are no slouch. i haven't listend to the frx-5 much so i can't give an honest comparison between the two. at that price point, i think the frx-7 are top notch. of course, there are other speakers to listen to as well. this board is very very paradigm-centric so someone will come along here soon and suggest the monitor 7/9 and or the reference 40/60.

kevin t

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

thanks for your opinion. I will eventually get a sub, but that will be a new hunt!