Mirage Frx-7's vs JBL 312's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randal, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Randal

Randal Extra

Anyone heard both that could compare and contrast? I have the Mirage's now and I'm just not satisfied with them. This is strictly for stereo Redbook playback and i listen to mostly hard to heavy rock. When I stray from that, I listen to things like Steely Dan.

2. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

Randal,

Could you describe what it is you don't like about the Mirage Frx7's? I haven't listened to the JBL's you mention, but for anyone to advise you, they will need a lot more info to base a response on.

I have the Frx9's and I'm very pleased with them. Of course, because they have the integrated sub, they are capable of much deeper base than the 7's. Also, I may enjoy the sound character of the Mirage Frx speakers more than you. There is also the other components in the system to consider and the room the system is in.

Larry.

3. Randal

Randal Extra

Thanks Larry.

Well, I'm new to the audio upgrade thing. I've recently purchased a Harmon Kardon 3370 amplifier/receiver and the AMC cd8b dedicated CD player, both moderately priced but very well respected units. I'm doubting the problem would be with either one of those, so that's why I'm assuming it's the speakers.

If I had to put my finger on what bothers me, I guess it would be in this order.

At "moderately" high volume levels there seems to be a smear or lack of articulation, particularly in the high-mids and highs. Where's the sizzle in the cymbals?

The stereo image is VERY particular. Once I find it, I literally can't move my head without ruining it.

Lack of really good, kick me in the chest kind of bass. Now I don't need that rattle the neighborhood kind of rap bass but I would like to feel it a little bit. I have to REALLY crank the volume to hear the bass and then that just ends up making the first problem worse.

I don't know, I just expected much more from $700. speakers.

I've read rave reviews about the JBL 312's but haven't auditioned them in my house yet.

4. Brian_C

Brian_C Stunt Coordinator

I have the JBL S312s myself and preferred them over a Mirage model (don't know which) of similar cost. However, if you're looking for better base response, the S312s won't deliver until moderate or higher volume levels as well. A sub would probably be a better solution to that.

5. Randal

Randal Extra

Brian,

Is your preference for the JBL's just in general or would you be able to put into words what it is that you liked better with the JBL's?

6. Kiet_H

Kiet_H Stunt Coordinator

Having listen to both ( although in different environments ), I feel that at loud volumes the JBL's hit alot harder then the Mirage, but overall the Mirage provide better detail. But as with all things in the music hobby, everyone has his/her own preference so listen to them and decide for yourself which sounds better.

7. Brian_C

Brian_C Stunt Coordinator

It's been some months, so my memory may be a little off. The Mirages sounded ok, but they lacked clarity and the sound seemed to be garbled to my ears. If I closed my eyes, I could imagine the sound coming from two distinct speakers, with a lack of a clear stereo central image.

The S312s have an amazing clarity. I felt like I could hear every instrument on the track. They have the ability to fill the room with sound while retaining good imaging. The highs are just right and not too bright ala Klipsch. The mids are amazingly clear and not muddy at all. I am slightly disappointed with the bass given the speakers immense size, but a good sub should cover that (I don't have one yet).

These speakers do require a break-in time, so don't judge them in the first week of life. I'm not sure if you'll be satisfied with the bass, so you really should audition these first. On a last note, these could be found online for quite a bit cheaper then local showrooms.

8. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

9. Randal

Randal Extra

Brian,

"The Mirages sounded ok, but they lacked clarity and the sound seemed to be garbled to my ears. If I closed my eyes, I could imagine the sound coming from two distinct speakers, with a lack of a clear stereo central image."

EXACTLY ! That's one of the things I've noticed. I play and record a little music myself and for the most part, always put the snare right down the middle. Trying to place the speakers and the listening chair and my head in a position where the snare sounds in the middle as apposed to coming from one speaker or the other is EXTREMELY difficult.

Hey, you you think that my 75watts per channel Harmon Kardon 3370 is enough muscle for the 312's?

Marko,

"You hit the nail on the head with this quote."

Man, I am SO glad you guys spoke up. I was beginning to think I was completely nuts. I mean, how could you buy speakers of this quality and not be satisfied. My wife just doesn't get it.

Man, this is really gonna be a hassle since I'm past the return time on the Mirages.

10. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Want real bass? Get a sub. Regular speakers simply cannot reproduce frequencies below ~100hz very well.
    I myself have the FRx7s and enjoy them very much. Mirages have somewhat laid back highs, which is something I prefer as I can't stand bright speakers.
    As for the imaging, have you tried moving the speakers around? It sounds like your sweet spot is awfully small. I have absolutely no problem with sound anchoring in the middle. And, yeah, if you move your head, it's going to ruin the sweet spot. This is going to happen with any speakers you have, so prepare for some disappointment.
    I don't like the JBLs at all. I though they had muddled midrange. So there you go [​IMG]