Mirage FRx-3

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Sathyan, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

I am (maybe) looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for stereo music playback (LP, CD, Tape, Radio, MP3). My receiver is Onkyo SR500 (65 Wpc at 8 ohms)

Do you have any opinions on the Mirage FRx-3 ($200 a pair)
    http://audioadvisor.com/store/produc...rry%20-%20Pair

# Frequency response: 47 Hz - 22 kHz +/- 3 dB
    # Room efficiency: 90 dB
    # Crossover point: 2 K
    # Impedance: 8 ohms
    # Recommended amplifier power: 15-110 watts
    # Dimensions: 14" high, 7.5" wide, 10.5" deep

Anything else around that price point?

My current fronts (for DVD I have a 5.1 sub/sat system which is fine for HT but I don't like so much music being redirected to the sub) are KLH 900's whose major failing is a lack of a smooth frequency response. Its obvious when a crossover is being crossed.

I listen to classical, opera, jazz and less seriously pop.

thanks
    Sathyan

2. Adam.Gonsman

Adam.Gonsman Stunt Coordinator

Sathyan,
    I can't make any comments about the FRx-3's specifically, but I can tell you that Mirage tends to make a very good speaker for the money. I run speakers from their Omnipolar line and they stack up against many speakers costing much more.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be many Mirage owners on this forum so you might have a problem with getting repsonses on this specific model. Hopefully someone will chime in.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Oh yeah, Mirage (and its siblings, Energy and Athena Technologies) tends to give great bang for the money. I don't think you can go wrong with these. I kind of remember the old planethifi.com website site giving them a great review. Consider the small tower for $100.00/pair more because you will need stands for the bookshelf Mirage.

4. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Ive owned the FRX3s. Their greatest downfall is the tweeter tends to get congested at higher listening levels. But still nice speakers for the money. Be hard to find much that competes with them at that price point.

5. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

I cannot comment on this particular model, but I've owned a lot of Mirage speakers and have always been extremely happy with their performance and value for money.

Cheers,
    Chris

6. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

I am running the FRx-three's for my surround speakers in my HT setup. They work well in their role in my setup. I have listened to them with 2 channel audio when I was looking for speakers and they sounded pretty good. You can't really go wrong with Mirage.

7. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Sathyan,
    I have Mirage FRx-7's up front with the FRx-C center. I blew a tweeter in one and my dealer instantly gave me a new on. Mirage has excellent customer service and quality products.