What's new

Mirage, Def Tech and Theater Sound (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Whenever I go to the theater, I come out thinking that I love my set up, but the speakers at the theater sure sound different. Not better, just different. They do not have crisp highs like my Paradigm, low bass like my SVS, not as detailed... yet, I still like how they sound. It is hard to describe (geez, who has been to a theater before? ;)), perhaps it has to do with the "near field" thing.
Anyway, after listening to music with some Mirage the other day, I started to wonder if the difuse sound those bipolar speakers put out is not better for HT application. With the Mirage, instruments were not as clearly seperated, but instead it seemed I had a wall of sound in front of me and the soundstage was HUGE (I think it was the OMC7, $2000 or so). While that may not be desirable for music (I liked it tho), it is probably great with HT.
I guess I would like to know what you guys think of Bipolar speakers compared to regular ones.
--
Holadem

Karim Nogas

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Holadem,

I've been in the same frame of mind as you for the past several months. After listening to the B&W Nautilus 802, my all-Mirage setup just seemed lacking (obviously!). Up until that point, ignorance was truly bliss.

As you said, I also don't think bipolar speakers are best for music, but they are great for home theatre. There is certainly a sonic compromise because of the reflective sound.

What I eventually ended up doing was rearranging my entire HT with audio quality in mind. My OM-10s are now 9' apart, with about 4' on the sides, and 5' from the front wall. You really have to give bipolars room to breathe. I was also able to improve the clarity by upgrading my cables and interconnects to Cardas but I don't want to start another one of "those" threads...

So I now feel the limitations in music with Mirage have been cured as best as can be done with my setup. In the future, I will choose a speaker system that can handle both more adequately.

Hubert

Second Unit
Holadem, it stictly is a matter of taste. Some people like me love bipolar, and wouldn't have anything else. Some swear by direct radiating speakers. It's simply comes down to different tastes. There is no one correct setup. The only correct setup is the one that sound best to you. My Def Tech system is absolutely staggering on movies and very good on music. So if you're asking what I like, of course it's bipolars.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I can't speak for Mirage, but I have found my DT's to have wonderful placement of images...great detail and separation. But anyway, just being bipolar is not what makes DT's so great with HT...it is a combination of attributes including dynamics, ease at high volumes, soundstage, detail, etc. But bipolar does have some advantages...including an added spaciousness to the sound, as well as enhanced power handling. DT does use modifed crossover for the rear drivers to take into account proximity to the rear wall. Use them in a relatively large room, give them some space all around, do not keep too much space in between them, and toe them in slightly...and then they are just as nice with music as with movies (IMHO) since the bipolar effect is more "subdued" in such a setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks