What's new

Miracles tv show...what a shame... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was a fan of the show before ABC cancelled it. To my surprise I found out their were another 7 episodes that never aired(seems like a waste ABC). I just was able to get the unaired 7 episodes. They were aired in Canada. I just finished watching 4 of them. What a real shame. So far these episodes were really enjoyable. They had the same mix of scariness, mystery and uniqueness that the X-Files had in it's early years. They even have an episode where the unexplained "miracle" is a hoax and the real miracle is people's kindness. Another episode "Mother's Daughter" had a conclusion I was not really expecting in this world of happy endings. I look forward to watching the last three episodes. Especially, the follow up to the aired episode "The Patient". It has the Mr.Friendly ghost in it. ;)

To bad this show was cancelled before it had time to grow a following. I guess in today's reality frenzy. It is just to easy to give shows a chance anymore.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's got nothing to do with "reality" programs, other than them being low-priced alternatives. It's just a bad combination of the audience being more fragmented and shows costing more than they ever have, which makes it a lot harder for shows to pay for themselves early on.

Miracles had an especially bad time, for a couple reasons: It had the bad luck to premiere at a time when it would get pre-empted for Iraq coverage, but it also wasn't the show the pilot promised. I remember a few people expecting a show about a Catholic priest investigating miracles for the church, and being interested in that, but by the second week getting something rather different (and perhaps being scared away by the Greenwalt-special recaps at the start). That this was a good show wound up not being as important as it not being what the audience felt they'd been sold and not getting a chance to see it on a consistent basis.

It's a bummer, but the window to succeed is awfully quick these days, and when your new episodes aren't pulling down the same ratings as the Practice re-runs they're replaced with...

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I enjoyed the show alot but I think it may have been the serious tone and subject matter may have hurt it.

That plus it didnt have Law or Order or CSI in the Title.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I have seen the first seven episdoes, and I still want to see the last six. Another factor of why Miracles was cancelled by ABC was due to the fact that ABC's parent company (Disney) felt uncomfortable about the subject matter in the series. I wish ABC aired the last seven episodes during the last summer because it would have been better than repeats of other shows. Miracles was one of my favorite shows of last year.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Jeff, the problem with a DVD release is I think Touchstone (owned by Disney who is very uncomfortable with MIRACLES)won't do it. I think a company other than Touchstone will have to get the rights from Touchstone to release the show on DVD.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

John_Cols

Auditioning
I also enjoyed this series but I wouldn't see them releasing it on DVD. The same thing happened with John Doe but I was able to find someone who burned the series on VCD for me with no commercials. I have also been looking for the same situation with the Miracles series just to enjoy the ones that have aired.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I wonder if HDNet might pick it up. I know that they have picked up other cancelled HD series like "Ladies Man" for example.

I hope it's ok to resurrect this old thread, but I just want to be sure that all fans of the show are aware that Miracles IS coming to DVD this coming April!! ;)

Yippers!!

Here's an update from MHQ:

And according to TVShowsonDVD, the release date is April 19!! So mark it on your calendar!!! :D

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Great news. To shows, this and Wonderfalls, that were cancelled before they had a chance to catch on, are getting a second chance.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I believe this show would be perfect to come back, even as a 2hr movie. I don't believe the cast is locked into anything. And it is not like they had any permanent sets that were taken down. Also, the shows creator probably would love to bring the show back.

Oh, we know for a fact that the show's creators want to continue. As far as Angus Macfadyen is concerned, he's a bit busy at the moment... He's currently working on FIVE different films... lol But the rest of the cast ought to be relatively free. Still, Miracles without Alva? Hmmmm... just wouldn't be the same. lol

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering. If the show does well on dvd. I wonder what the chances are of maybe a 2-hour movie to wrap up the series. I know the creator would be want it.

Rekka, You deal with some of the people in production. Is this even possible?

I would think the possibility of something new being made is very high--IF THE DVDs SELL WELL. I'd have to check with everyone else in the campaign, but I think the show could certainly gain somewhat of a revival after the release of the DVDs. So go out and get the DVDs! Pre-order them! Tell everyone you know about them--and tell fans of LOST and other "paranormal" shows that they might like it as well! Then we'll see what happens...

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Funny that new show with Patricia Archette is the same type show isnt it? That is going good. It just happens that Miracles came along during the reality trash boom.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, Medium also didn't premiere just before the Iraq war or perform a bait-and-switch with the show's setting. It's not relentlessly grim, it doesn't bombard audience members with Greenwalt-special recaps at the top of every episode to make them feel like they'll be lost, and it has strong central characters who are interesting in and of themselves as opposed to just how they fit into the larger story.

Honestly, I'm trying to think what effect "the realithy trash boom" had on Miracles, unless you consider news coverage "reality trash". ABC's Monday night schedule was all scripted, and its competition was, IIRC, Family Law on CBS and Crossing Jordan on NBC. And even if it was up against that show with the lie detector on NBC, well, what's it say about Miracles that the general audience would rather watch that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks