Miracles - Premiere 1/27/03

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Rendall, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Did anybody else catch this show? I thought it was very good. I was interested to see what Greenwalt would do, and I'm very impressed. It's pretty dark, with some great imagery. It could get old quickly, so I'll be interested to see where they go.

It was a great HDTV presentation too. The show seems to be framed 16:9, and the 5.1 sound was very well done. Oddly enough, the commercials were automatically muted on my feed (from Detroit). I'd call that a miracle!

Martin.

2. Joey

Joey Stunt Coordinator

That's what worries me - about it getting old quickly. Then again, I never got tired of ALIAS or some other shows that I thought would get old. But, it seems like these two will be going around looking at signs that something big is about to happen? I think Skeet Ulrich is a great pick for the role. I'd like to keep my eye on this show since this sort of stuff is interesting to me - and I hope the best of it!

3. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I definately like it. Whoever said it was going to be like Touched By an Angel (ie Jeff Kleist) was on crack. I'd compare it more with a mix of Signs and Millenium.

4. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

Interesting start, but as someone mentioned it also has the potential to get tired after a while depending on which direction they take it. Good atmosphere though, and the HD presentation (particularly the sound) was very nice. I'll tune in next week.

5. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Damn, the sound here in on my OTA from Seattle source was VERY low! But I found the show itself well done and surprisingly engaging. Skeet nailed the psuedo-Damien Karras role (couldn't help the comparison, after the few The Exorcist-like face flashes they had in the show). And when that guy pounded the diner table, I JUMPED! I'll give the show a chance.

6. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

The show started off VERY well IMO. It had a 70's Amityville feel to it imo with the imagery and the sound at the beggining. After that it kind of fell into the "been there, done that" sort of feel.

I will have to see where the show goes..

7. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I liked it a lot. Kind of an X-Files goes religion. I think Angus McFayden (Robert the Bruce in Braveheart) is a great actor, glad he'll be more involved now. The HD was great and the audio was done well. Commercials were deafening as usual especially with the volume cranked to compensate for all of the quiet dialog.

Eerie twist at the end:

God is now here - God is nowhere

Wish I taped it so I could go back and verify what I saw.

8. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Any re-broadcasts that people know of, in the near future?

9. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Second Unit

I really dug the heck out of this show. Grabbed me right from the start. The eerie graveyard scene that jumped to the title of the show without fanfare or music really impressed me. I was unsure on how Skeet would do as he seems like a poor man's Depp, but he really impressed me. Especially in the car accident scene. I would like to see the show carry over weekly a la Alias. If they can carry over mood/emotion from show to show, I feel that it will be a must see for me.
    Has anyone heard if this is going to copy the format of X-Files where the central story arc is dropped in favour of stand alone episodes? If so, a big yawn from me. I hope this show stays fresh and delivers some new ideas. The whole who is he working for angle is looking positively awesome....

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Very promising beginning. This is the first "new" show to have hooked me in several years. Hopefully it won't be cancelled tomorrow. [​IMG]

CBS just pulled the plug on "Queens Supreme" and "Presidio Med." QS has been on, what, two weeks?

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    It felt more like Millenium than X-Files. I hope they create a good premise for an episodic show out of it. It's hard to say where it will go or what it will be like based on this episode, but so far, it has my attention.

Regards,

12. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

13. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Shoot -- fully meant to tune in for this and then forgot. Time to set the DirecTiVo, I think.

Deborah

14. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It does have some promise and has bit of other horror/sci-fi movies & TV shows thrown together.

Very much like a combo of The Sixth Sense, The Exorcist (although the copy-cat flash frames were a bit more heavy handed), Millennium, and The Omen with the darkly lit, shadowy conspiracy world of The X-Files.

The beginning at the grave yard sure was creepy. That quick nail through the hand and needle in the eye-ball was a shock for network TV, but if they are going towards more of the Fox "shocker" route to gain audience members I'm not that surprised.

The ex-priest slamming his hand on the table also made be jump out of my seat.

They could keep this up as long as they stay with the creepy elements rather than the "slasher" & "boogie-man" genres with their usually ham handed approach to scares. It really is more of what you don't see than what you do that can give you the heebie-jeebies.

Dan

15. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Very promising, I thought. To me, it's like The X-Files meets Millennium. The previews that said it was brought to us by the team behind The Sixth Sense is a bit of a stretch, as it mostly reflected the executives at Disney/ABC, not M. Night Shyamalan (which I think we were supposed to infer). I suppose calling it "From the creator of The Mothman Prophecies"(Richard Hatem) would have been a bit of a dud.

Anyways, I think it's one of the more intelligent shows on the tube right now, with great execution on the production end of things. Great concept, solid production values, solid acting and storytelling. We'll have to see if they can sustain it.

16. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

17. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Jeff,

No offense about the movie--I just meant that it wasn't exactly a crowd favorite that set the box office on fire. I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not implying any judgement of its merits or demerits.

18. Craig P

Craig P Stunt Coordinator

FWIW, the first thing I did when I hit the end of the episode was rewind the tape -- the writing that the Ulrich character sees clearly says "God is now here." No question whatsoever about where the words fall. It might have been even more interesting if the writing had been ambiguous, though the "God is coming" leading up to it would still have indicated the appropriate interpretation pretty clearly.

19. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Watched it last night after taping it Monday night--

For a pilot, and especially for a major network pilot, I thought it was very good. As many of you have noted, there were a number of derivative elements to it, but it managed to not beat you over the head with them. I think it's important to remember that most shows, especially GOOD shows that last for at least a few seasons - take a while to find their own rhythm. With that in mind, I think Miracles has a lot of potential.

Ulrich has enough screen presence and acting ability to carry the show, but they really need to fully develop the character. We have some hints - brought up in an orphanage (presumably run by the Catholic church), very intelligent (his age and his education), and very well traveled. Hopefully, the show will be as much about his character's personal journey and development as about the external story.

I liked that the show started off with him debunking the "miracle" - twisted the eerie start nicely. I also liked that the show gave some ambiguity to the boys' healing powers. Leaves room for viewer speculation and interpretation.

I did feel like the show used far too many close ups. Perhaps because the episode felt fairly cinematic, the extreme close ups of the actors' faces jarred, but for whatever reason, I felt like the view was being too limited. Maybe it was an artistic choice and I'm not getting the meaning....

My greatest concern is not the show itself, which is not perfect but certainly holds promise. My greatest concern is its home: ABC. Compare Miracles to X-Files. X-Files was NOT a home run its first season - or even its second. It took at least three seasons of consistent, heavy promotion both by the network and by fans to make the show a hit. Networks just don't seem willing to nurture shows anymore - not when they can crank out cheaply made sh*tcoms for 1/3 of the price of an hour-long drama with effects.

20. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Second Unit