Miracles - 2/03/03

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Rendall, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Another fine episode. Was this "Lazy Dave"'s first real episode?

Was it me, or was the framing a little more 4:3 friendly this time?

They are doing a great job of making us like and respect the principal character.

Martin.

2. Matt_Key

Matt_Key Agent

This is my favorite TV show. [​IMG]

3. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I liked it, but didn't find it nearly as dark as the first one. I guess not every episode could be like that one, and I still really enjoyed it, but not as much as the first. I also found it to be a bit more predictable this time.

4. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

Pretty entertaining episode, kinda reminds me of that movie 'Stigmata' - what with the Aramaic and all (as well as the main character being an investigator ala G. Bryne) [​IMG]

5. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I'm really getting to like this show. I agree with Martin that they are doing a great job of making us like the main character. Skeet has pulled it off so far. And I still think that the other guy is the Devil
    .[​IMG]

6. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

We also get a "Previously on Miracles" at the beginning of this show, so that gives us some hint as to how standalone or serial these episodes are going to be.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The episode was alright, but was that the most unnecessarily long "previously" summation ever made or was I just cranky. [​IMG]

I hope they establish the true nature, purpose, and origin of the group fairly quickly in the series. I don't mind things being a little mysterious, but the longer they go without explaining it, the more I begin to suspect that they don't really know themselves. Once that is established, they are free to subvert, undermine, distort, and upend it as much as they want. Also, the main character does not strike me as the kind of guy who would sign up without reading all of the brochures first. [​IMG]

Regards,

8. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Well, I think Skeet's character, having just left a very 'Father-Figure' -ish situation, would go into another quickly without early forethought. Maybe in future eps he will stand back and look at what he has gotten himself into. And I thought Hector Elizondo (sp?) was going to be a reoccurring character. Maybe in future eps (if there will be future eps, considering how fast these shows are getting axed, ie, that Oliver Platt show on CBS).

9. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I liked the episode as well. Anyone else think next weeks episode doesn't look to be that great at all?

10. Martin Rendall

Yes, Todd. I was going to post something similar... but then I thought more about the obvious story arc they're very quickly setting up, and the fact that most often previews never do the next episode of any show justice, and decided to wait and see!

Regards,
    Martin.

11. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

So far, my one peeve with the show is that Paul Callan--investigator extraordinaire--has really turned none of his talents toward the group that he is now working with. That, to me, is bit of a flaw in characterization and storytelling. I can see how he would assume that the group is just a secular version of what he did for the RC, but still...

Other than that, it was a pretty decent episode.

12. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Count me in as a new fan ... I agree this now my fave TV Show! (Is that allowed after only 2 eps?)

I thought the preview for ep1.2 (shown following the pilot) looked a little weak, but ... not true at all. Ep1.2 was fascinating, exciting, briskly paced & VERY engrossing. I'll agree it was a little predictable, but that didn't take away from it.

some of my favorite scenes:
    Flight attendant spewing advanced quantum physics in Aramaic - creepy AND fascinating
    Teen girl recanting her future .. how depressing!
    the chick with the bullet lodged in her skull sneaking the tape
    the closing scene with Skeet delivering the tape.

What I want to know:
    like everyone .. whats the story on the Angus McFayden character ... is he the only one on earth that understands ancient Aramaic AND quantum physics. His business card says 365 Midlothian Court ... is this a hint? maybe his penname is Louis Cyphere? (kudos to the 1st to name the movie ref)
    Also ... what's the quote Paul keeps hearing ... something like "Darkness is coming" ... is this a reference to to coming Armageddon, or is that too easy?
    Man I can't wait 'til next Monday ... I'm now taping all the Eps (missed the pilot, but I'll get it). I'll be one of the 1st to have a Season 1 collection.

Scott

13. Mike Monti

Mike Monti Stunt Coordinator

*cough*Angel Heart
    *cough

also the quote "Darkness is it's own thing" seems to imply an actual Satan who's taking a role in all this. When bad things happen they're on purpose and his doing.

Am I correct in assuming that Satan
    sent Paul to meet the kid in the first ep to Take him out of the picture?

Seemed to me like a preemptive strike.

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

15. Martin Rendall

Conjecture:

I like Mike's idea of it being Satan's preemptive strike. It certainly fits with some other things.

Satan is intending an apocalypse, possibly though the development of a super weapon. Paul is a threat to this.

There are some people "attuned" to the supernatural happenings. The previous people saw "God is nowhere" as that would undermine their faith, to weaken their resolve and determination. Paul, on the other hand, was already undergoing a loss of faith, so the message "God is now here" would undermine him further, as he could interpret that to suggest that the nasty stuff going on with the kid is God's will... not a nice thing for him to accept.

Oh well... just a couple of thoughts I've had.

16. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

The fact that this show incites such theories with it being only 2 episodes old shows that it has something going on, and I only hope it sticks around long enough to play out some of these ideas.