What's new

Miracle Mile coming to DVD in fullscreen only! (1 Viewer)

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
I got an identical response from MGM a couple of days ago. Copied and pasted. I can only hope that everyone on this thread takes the time to generate the same response :) Now where did I put those envelopes...

MikeM

Screenwriter
I just sent off a letter.

I love this film, but if they don't release a 16x9 widescreen version of Miracle Mile, I wont buy it. Period.

It will also rank as a tie with "Fearless" as one of my favorite films unfortunately found on butchered "full frame" DVDs that I refuse to buy.

I hope they'll reconsider.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It's bad enough that I have to stare at cheap copies of Fearless (and Action Jackson!) every time I walk into a #(*$&# store, but now this too?!?!?!

:frowning:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Aw jeez.

When will it end?

Seems a simple enough equation to me!

Those who would buy a Miracle Mile (or A Midnight Clear but don't get me started) on DVD = MOVIE FAN

Movie fan = Someone who generally gives a crap about the film's intended presentation.

Like I always say, I wouldn't patronize a museum that alters its exhibits to gain more wall space.

OK, I don't always say that. I just kinda made it up.

Give me Miracle Mile in OAR and I'll buy it tomorrow.

Ask WB how their Wonka sales did after they catered to the snooty elitists. ;)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
And yes, that means I refuse to buy it as is.

BTW, anyone have any idea if Buena Vista's The Spirit of '76 has been hacked or chopped up in any way? I ask for the same reason I'm perturbed about the Miracle Mile stupidity.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Who ya gonna call???

PanScan Busters!

(be sure everyone to call that 1-800 Disney # in my sig and tell them how you feel about this title in P/S only...)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You know, every studio should have a rep to post something on HTF every so often with regards to OAR vs open matte, etc. and their reasons for choosing. It would instantly settle numerous arguments, placate hundreds of film aficionados, and avoid loss of sales. As we know, anything of import that is posted on HTF (or many other film sites) is immediately copied by hyperlink to dozens of other sites. It just seems to me that all studios with the exceptions of Paramount (Mr. Blythe) and Fox (Mr. Staddon) are shooting themselves in the feet by ignoring the forum sites and refusing to give up advance information which would help many hundreds of buyers decide on buying their product.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Well the time has come to decide whether your gonna buy miracle mile or not with it's release next tuesday. I was against getting it all along unless it was oar but i caved and ordered it. I just don't own it in any other format and this may be the last chance to ever own this title. Anyone else change there mind and decide to get it ?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Just got the DVD. It's definitely full-screen only with only the trailer as an extra.
:frowning:

BTW, anyone have any idea if Buena Vista's The Spirit of '76 has been hacked or chopped up in any way?
The Spirit of '76 DVD is from Warner Home Video, not Buena Vista. It's anamorphic widescreen and has lots of extras--commentary, outtakes, extra scenes, music video, etc.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Sorry, I won't be buying this or my beloved A Midnight Clear until they're done properly. :frowning:

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I guess im in the minority who caved. If i thought there was any chance in hell mgm would release this again oar i would not have bought it. I can see a title like a midnight clear getting another release but not a title as small as miracle mile i hope i'm wrong though.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I will not be buying it. Shame, too. I really like the movie.
That is just silly. If you like the film, don't let your DVD snobbery get in the way.

Sure, we all wish it was OAR, but it wasn't. MGM does a good job with OAR so maybe other factors played into it.

If you liked the film and want to see it again in your lifetime, pick it up. Years from now, when it is out of print, can't be found in stores, and you want to see it, you will then be out of luck.

To me at least, the film is more important than the format. I'd rather see an open matte transfer than not see it at all.

A horribly panned and scanned film is one thing, but that isn't the case with this.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
And didn't MGM less than a year ago state that ALL of their future non-special edition movies would contain both the widescreen (if appropriate) and "fullscreen" editions?

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
That is just silly. If you like the film, don't let your DVD snobbery get in the way.
No it's not silly at all. The fact is that there are tons of great catalog titles coming from various studios that I would love to own, but alas I am not a rich man and have to pick and choose. Had "Miracle Mile" been in wide-screen I would definitely be buying a copy. But as it is in the wrong aspect ratio, I choose to spend my money on other films I want that are done justice on the format.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Good point, Brian.

See, even if I DID buy it I'd be constantly thinking "hey it's great to finally own this one" and also "crap I'm really annoyed that it's not in widescreen".

I don't need to pay 15 bucks just to get annoyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks