Mint Velodyne HGS 12x for $800 or New SVS PC-Ultra for $1,200+

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Gary D. Gray, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Gary D. Gray

Gary D. Gray Auditioning

After a good bit of research, online forum reading, and correspondence with SVS (who provided pre-sale customer service at its finest), I was pretty much set on purchasing a SVS PC-Ultra and I was pretty excited about it. But...

I was sharing my excitement with a friend of mine (another home theater junkie), when he told me that he would sell me his six-month old Velodyne HGS 12 for $800. After looking around the web (Audiogon in particular) that seems to be a pretty good deal. I am inclined to take him up on it. I have seen and heard the sub. It is in impeccable shape. Plus, it costs less than the PC Ultra, appears to perform similarly, and (this is the best part) I can have it TOMORROW.

Can someone with a justified opinion chime in on this? I understand that this site is SVS-crazed, but please only make open-minded comments. After all, I was just about to jump on the bandwagon also.

Thanks,

GDG

2. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

I had both an HGS12II and a 16-46PC+ operating in the same HT for over a year. They both sounded equally sensational to my ear. $800 for a 6-month old HGS12X is an extremely good price. If you buy it and later decide you'd rather have an SVS, I'm certain you could sell the HGS at a profit on eBay!

- Bill

3. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Do it.

Doesn't mean you may not have something SVS some day, but you've apparently already done some research and you know that this is nothing personal - "it's strictly business". And it's a very, very decent unit and you'll likely be very happy with it and for a long time (and also with the additional content you can acquire for the difference in price). And, you can have it today. Yes, I've heard one @ a friend's house and it was darned decent - put a grin on this boy's face. And if you later decide to try SVS or even something else you'll probably not lose a penny on the resale.

4. Miles Lucasso

Miles Lucasso Stunt Coordinator

I'm just curious as to what sub your friend will then turn around and buy?

-miles

5. Gary D. Gray

Gary D. Gray Auditioning

His wife is pregnant, so he is tuning his "listening room" (not a big HT guy) into a nursery. Rather than keep his full setup, he is dialing the stuff back a bit. The guy has more money than he knows what to do with and very generously sold me the sub for a good price. I talked to him to late to get the B&W's he unloaded.

6. Mike Liaury

Mike Liaury Auditioning

"His wife is pregnant, so he is tuning his "listening room" (not a big HT guy) into a nursery."

Those little guys always ruin our plans. [​IMG] I'm only 10% serious. I love my two year old.