Minority Report:EX Flag?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Langdon, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Michael Langdon

Michael Langdon Stunt Coordinator

I rented Minority Report last night. To my surprise, when I selected the Dolby Digital 5.1 track, the display on my Aragon Stage One processor displayed Dolby Digital EX. I was surprised because I only know of two titles (Jurassic Park III and maybe Atlantis?) that have the EX flag. I made sure my option for Dolby EX was set to "Auto" and not to "On" which forces EX on 5.1 titles. Also, my processor has always correctly displayed DTS ES titles whether they were Matrix or Discrete. My processor displays "DTS ES" or "DTS ES Discrete" accordingly. In the thread for EX/ES encoded movies, Minority Report is listed as an ES Matrix title. My processor does not show or display Minority Report as ES encoded when I select the DTS 5.1 track. Can anyone else confirm this behavior in their EX/ES capable equipment? I am especially curious to see if Minority Report is auto detected as Dolby Digital EX.

Mike

2. Cavan.B

Cavan.B Stunt Coordinator

Yes, Minority Report is flagged as an EX soundtrack. I'm pretty sure most newly released DVD's that are EX now have the auto-activation flag. Signs should have it as well. Also, the DTS track is indeed plain ol' 5.1, no ES encoding whatsoever. Pretty odd considering the Dolby is 6.1 and the DTS is not, especially on a Spielberg title.[​IMG]

3. Michael Langdon

Thanks! I agree that it is strange for the disc to have both DD and DTS with the DD EX encoded and the DTS simply 5.1. I wanted to make sure since my processor has been previously correctly handling EX/ES flagged DVD titles.

Mike

4. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

I'd be very surprised if the DTS track didn't image correctly to the back surround channel when you force ES decoding, since matrixed back surround decoding uses the same principles, irrespective of delivery format.

Give it a try, and post the results..

5. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

Hmm, according to the list at the top of this thread(which is usually quite reliable) Minority Report has a DTS-ES Matrix soundtrack. Maybe they just forgot the flag on the DTS track, like on Disney's Atlantis. Unfortunately my pre/pro won't let me force DTS-ES...

6. Michael Langdon

I cannot really force ES either but I can apply DTS Neo to DTS 5.1 to extract a rear center or rear surround back channel with my Aragon Stage One processor. I have been told in the "DD-EX & DTS-ES encoded movies listing" thread that the ES flag was left off of Minority Report.