What's new

"Minority Report" DVD (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Both studios fork over cash, one studio gets the domestic gross, the other the foreign gross. It saves money up front for both studios since they dont have to gamble on huge budgets, and delivers more on the back end. It makes business sense.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Grainy, bleached, filtered, not a good video presentation at all.
That's a matter off opinion. In this case, is was highly intentional and was a concious effort to invoke the Film noir feel of movies past. The sooner we all realize that some films shouldn't look like the high contrast, grainless Fast and the Furious, the better off we'll be.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I think SKG will be naive (like with AI) and hold off and see if there are any Oscar noms. I don't think there will be any (although there should be IMO, Speilberg's best film since Indy 3). Great movie.

I know Speilberg doesnt like commentaries, but I wish he would try just one (on this movie) and see if he likes it. Hell, if he tries it and does not like it, he can alway hold it from the DVD anyway.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Why does it seem that DreamWorks is always making movies with other studios?
I think it's a distribution issue. DreamWorks doesn't have the extensive network the older studios have, maybe they're not even trying to set one up.

in the same way, Lucasfilm is the "studio" that made TPM and AotC, but they got Fox to distribute it for them.

I thought the example of two studios co-financing a movie and splitting the pie between US/domestic and overseas was only (or first?) used on Titanic, because of the cost overruns? although this might have become more common today, I vaguely remember some recent movie also carrying the name of two studios (not DreamWorks).

MichaelAW

Second Unit
I think SKG will be naive (like with AI) and hold off and see if there are any Oscar noms. I don't think there will be any (although there should be IMO, Speilberg's best film since Indy 3). Great movie.
Not that I disagree with you, but Catch Me If You Can is Dreamworks/Spielberg's Oscar hope this year, not Minority Report. CMIYC is scheduled to open Christmas day, I believe.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Shakespeare in Love was between Miramax and Universal. Talented Mr Ripley was between Paramount and Miramax.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I also find it curious as to why Universal handles their home videos.
Sid Sheinberg at MCA didn't see any reason for Spielberg to go start his own studio, he really wanted Spielberg to remain with Universal. Sheinberg being the one who kick started Spielberg's career, Spielberg never wanted to neglect the company that made him what he was, in that respect, part of the deal that led to MCA letting Spielberg go was Universal handling all of Dreamwork's home video and TV products.

Dan

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Adam,

The major problem with grain on dvd is that occasionally it confuses the compression system and we end up with a pixel shower!

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I agree with Lee. I do alot of video capturing and conversion. A grainy picture is very hard to compress because the grain appears to be huge amounts of detail in every scene to the encoder.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Hi Jeremy,

I love your web site! I thought you'd have more than a rumor by now, that date has been floating around for weeks.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
This is my second most anticipated DVD behind AOTC. Great film. Hopefully they'll provide us with a DVD along the lines of A.I.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought the example of two studios co-financing a movie and splitting the pie between US/domestic and overseas was only (or first?) used on Titanic, because of the cost overruns? although this might have become more common today, I vaguely remember some recent movie also carrying the name of two studios
It's certainly more common today, with Harry Potter being (IIRC) the only movie financed exclusively by Warner Bros. in 2001.

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
Why does it seem that DreamWorks is always making movies with other studios? Are they strapped for cash, or what?
DreamWorks is arguably one of the most powerful studios in Hollywood, led by undoubtedly three of the most powerful men in the entertainment industry: Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg, and David Geffen. DreamWorks' studio and record label partnerships exist mostly for the purposes of distribution -- as basically the newest non-subsidiary "major", DreamWorks neither has, nor has ever had the desire to establish the types of distribution channels studios like Universal/MCA and 20th Century Fox have had for decades.

As for the Universal connection, recall that Edgar Bronfman Jr. is friends -- and closely affiliated in respect of many Jewish-interest projects -- with Spielberg and Katzenberg. In case the Bronfman name doesn't ring a bell, think heir to the Seagram's fortune and biggest stakeholder in Vivendi Universal. (To clarify: I'm not implying some vast Jewish conspiracy, because there isn't one, vast or otherwise -- I'm Jewish myself.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The major problem with grain on dvd is that occasionally it confuses the compression system and we end up with a pixel shower!
I agree that's a problem. But when grain is correctly reproduced on DVD (A.I. is a good example of this), people still complain about the grain itself. My point was that grain is natural to the image. I certainly don't want the compression artifacts that can come with grain, but they compression artifacts and the grain itself aren't one in the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks