What's new

Minor problem with Toshiba SD-4700 (1 Viewer)

Tom S

Agent
I have been using my Toshiba SD-4700 now for about 4 months. I am generally pleased with it's performance with one exception. At least once, sometimes more, on just about every DVD, there is a very slight audio dropout. I thought it was the layer change but it happens at strange times, like 20 minutes into the movie. These drop outs are more annoying than anything else, and very subtle. Is this common for this machine or am I just spoiled?

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Tom,

I had the same problem as you w/ the 4700. I have a Denon receiver and used the optical input. It got to be really annoying to me when in the Usual Suspects, I had no less than 6 dropouts.

Tom S

Agent
Interesting. I have a Denon 3300, however I am using the coaxial input. I just purchased a Sony DVP-NC655P (5 disc player) that is hooked up to the optical input. I am using it mostly as a CD player, but I plan on watching a few movies on that player to see if this is a common problem.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
If you do a search on audio dropouts you'll find Toshiba all over the place. It was common with the first generation of players put out by them....I had a Phillips that was a TOSHIBA oem that had the same problem.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have a Toshiba 4700 with an optical cable going to my Yamaha HTR52550 receiver and I haven't experienced any audio dropouts. Perhaps it is a loose connection or Denon compatibility issue. ?

Kevin_W

Second Unit
I also have 4700 and Denon 3300. I had several dropouts with Lord of the Rings and it was the first disc that I watched where I really took notice to the problem. I exchanged discs from the store and went back to the problematic areas and had no problems. Though I am not sure if they aren't there anymore in other places as I've yet to sit down and watch it all the way through again. Perhaps Toshiba's are just more sensitive to the quality discs themselves rather than faulty decoding processors... The only thing I am sure about is I was rather disgruntled at the whole issue. I hope I don't hear it again.

Kevin

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
The problems with the early Toshibas was a compatibility issue. It only affected certain combinations, and I'm sure that is probably what's happening again.

Matt

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

The dropouts were never repeatable for me. I could watch the film again and it wouldn't drop in the same places i.e. the Matrix.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I concur that the Toshiba 4700/Yamaha (HTR-5560) combination has been flawless for me. I am using an optical connection as well.
c

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks