What's new

Minimum viewing distance for 480p? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
I've searched forums and articles for a Critical Viewing Distance value for 480p, but so far I've only seen values for 480i, 720p, and 1080i. Living in Calgary without a satellite system dictates that all my viewing for the will be in 480p (progressive DVDs and upconverted cable channels) for quite a while. My viewing distance is 8 feet in the sweet spot and probably won't change for at least 2-3 years. I have a friend who has a Sony 57" 16:9 set, but unfortunately I never brought over a measuring tape to judge distance. My best guess was that I had to sit 10 feet away before I couldn't see any scanlines (I'm 6'1", and lying down between the TV and couch still left a couple of feet open, plus I added 2 more feet for when you sit back on the couch) This works out to be about 4.3 PH for my personal CVD... ie. a 57" 16:9 screen has a height of 27.9" so (27.9 X 4.3) / 12 equals approx 10 feet. Is this about right? I know that everyone's eyes are different and some sit closer/farther before scanlines become apparent, but since I didn't have a measuring tape, I'm just going by guesswork.

If this is the case, then I'll be looking at getting either a 36" 4:3 set or a 46" 16:9 set, as anything bigger will produce obvious scanlines for me.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Ryan

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,

I've noticed the same thing that you have about the lack of 480p in the viewing distance calculators. However, I do recall reading somewhere that for 480p the viewing distance should be five times the picture height, although this is purely from memory as I can no longer find the source where I got that info from. As it sounds like you're already aware, the formulas are nothing but a starting point and don't replace actually going to a store, having them play a progressive signal, viewing potential TV sizes from your viewing distance and then deciding what looks the best to you.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks